Board logo

Astra J Automatic box
Rob3 - 31/10/16 at 07:55 AM

The lady next door has a average mileage 2010/11 Astra 1.6 sri auto, the box has given up. (Drives in first and reverse ok, everything else ok till it gets warm - this has been diagnosed as one of the clutches being worn / damaged apparently......!!)

Anyway, she has replaced the car and is now trying to sell the Astra, cheap. I know nothing about the boxes in these, the internet doesn't reveal much apart from they do seem to have problems. I know the predecessor has coolant issues with shared rads but this one doesn't seem to. I found replacement box' on eBay for the thick end of a grand! But does it need a trip to Vauxhall for coding etc?

Does anyone know anything more specific about the gearboxes in these? Should I stay well away or is there some scope for fixing it and selling it on?

Cheers

britishtrident - 31/10/16 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob3
The lady next door has a average mileage 2010/11 Astra 1.6 sri auto, the box has given up. (Drives in first and reverse ok, everything else ok till it gets warm - this has been diagnosed as one of the clutches being worn / damaged apparently......!!)

Anyway, she has replaced the car and is now trying to sell the Astra, cheap. I know nothing about the boxes in these, the internet doesn't reveal much apart from they do seem to have problems. I know the predecessor has coolant issues with shared rads but this one doesn't seem to. I found replacement box' on eBay for the thick end of a grand! But does it need a trip to Vauxhall for coding etc?

Does anyone know anything more specific about the gearboxes in these? Should I stay well away or is there some scope for fixing it and selling it on?

Cheers

Give these guys a call for advice http://www.mackie-transmission.com/home and a price to recondition the transmission they have been in the business a very long time and major car manufacturers sub-contract the re-manufacture of exchange transmission to them.