Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford 1600 crossflow
westf27

posted on 3/12/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 1600 crossflow

My block and pistons are past the best.So it's either reborn and complete rebuild or

Has anyone got a short engine that they know is good

steve m

posted on 3/12/18 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would rebore your engine, unless its all ready at +90, that I believe to be the max , and then have a total rebuild,

Or do it your self, its easy on a cossflow,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

westf27

posted on 3/12/18 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the right way to go,thanks.It is the 711 block so ready for upgrading power output.
So maybe 1300 pistons and a cam,bit of porting to make use of the dell ottos and exhaust manifold.
My wish was a glaze bust and rings

rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/18 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Before even considering a deglaze and new rings get the bores measured, no point not reboring if the bores are worn .I've rarely been happy reringing engines . Xflow engines are about the easiest engine to rebuild with just basic tools and well worth tuning at the same time. A nice winter project

[Edited on 4/12/18 by rusty nuts]

westf27

posted on 4/12/18 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
That's good advice really,thanks

BenBrooks

posted on 4/12/18 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I am replacing my 1600 crossflow with a 2l duratec over the winter so mine will be up for sale very shortly.

You may not want to just replace your old one but just in case! I'm quite near you too.

Send me a pm if you want any details.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/12/18 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a X-flow in my car - I like it a lot, it doesn't have huge power but it's good enough for me - but if it ever gives up, I probably won't repair it. I'd be looking for a more modern replacement that will give me more power, without tuning. Extra tuning will give me more power than I'd ever get from the x-flow, and still be more civilised to drive.

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/12/18 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
AND, if you do re build it (a wonderful engine, I had one once in the 80's 1662cc using lotus twin cam pistons), make SURE you get the little end bearings replaced, as my Dad (well me) found out in/on HIS car after a rebuild about 4 years before I rebuilt mine (4.4 diff in a Mk2 cortina estate down the M24 just after the first bit got opened, it left oil everywhere :O)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/12/18 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
One tip , keep the main bearings as a pattern for when ordering new ones as Ford sometimes used oversize bearings on the outer diameter to salvage blocks even on brand new engines , it'll be easier for your parts supplier if you have a pattern
joneh

posted on 5/12/18 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Another top tip. Don't knock out the camshaft bearings if they're over sized. You'll never get replacements. I have a 1300 paper weight in the garage that will be a herb garden in summer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.