Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD cordless impact wrench
number-1

posted on 2/2/23 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
WTD cordless impact wrench

Im after a cordless but decent impact wrench. Does anyone have anything for sale? Its for wheel nuts pretty much.

Or any links to ones for sale would be great. The claimed torque v real torque is always an issues so tried and tested would be preferred

JoelP

posted on 2/2/23 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a milwaukee m18 one. It's pretty crazy. Better value if you already have the batteries.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ReMan

posted on 2/2/23 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Still loving my DeWalt
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dcf899-18v-xr-brushless-high-torque-impact-wrench/p69506
Again not cheap, but not been beaten by any of my jobs yet especially wheel nuts
Its a big beastie though

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

pigeondave

posted on 2/2/23 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
This might help with research

https://youtu.be/fTQLjfRyhes

Their opening statement echo's your worries.

[Edited on 2/2/23 by pigeondave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 3/2/23 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 18v Hitachi one I'm considering selling with 2x 5.0Ah batteries.

I've sent you a u2u

nick205

posted on 3/2/23 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Questions

Unless you're a tyre fitters or regular track day wheel changer, how frequently are undoing/tightening wheel nuts that a power tool becomes necessary?

Asking out of curiosity.

number-1

posted on 3/2/23 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Trackday wheel change and speed. Any work i do on the car is in the street so id rather have t done asap. If it can handle wheel nuts it can handle any other bolt the car has.
nick205

posted on 3/2/23 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Makes sense.

Drive shaft nuts can be a fair bit tighter, but should be far less frequent.

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/2/23 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Trackday wheel change and speed. Any work i do on the car is in the street so id rather have t done asap. If it can handle wheel nuts it can handle any other bolt the car has.

If you are happy to use a lidl one, they are very good value. I have been using mine for about 2 years, wheel nuts are easy, but it can be defeated on stuff done up REALLY tight. Lidl have them back in stock soon I think. And if you buy, don't like, you can return to store in 30 days.

JMW

posted on 4/2/23 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:

If you are happy to use a lidl one, they are very good value. I have been using mine for about 2 years, wheel nuts are easy, but it can be defeated on stuff done up REALLY tight. Lidl have them back in stock soon I think. And if you buy, don't like, you can return to store in 30 days.

Exactly this. This has been precisely my experience too. I paid 59.99 for mine two years ago (included battery and charger).

sdh2903

posted on 4/2/23 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought one. Went for this one

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/milwaukee-m18fmtiw2f12-502x-18v-mid-torque-impact-wrench-with-friction-ring-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAofieBhDXARIsAHTTldr ovFDGJwj3ltmsyHoineXFPoKXF2cRJduq4ECtrNd7lQAeXhkXGrIaAqvNEALw_wcB

Wanted something powerful but not too big that it can't fit in around suspension and brakes. The thing has some serious power but also has a neat feature to select minimal torque so you can use it to run up smaller fasteners too.

ReMan

posted on 4/2/23 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't waste my money again on a LIDL
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=215614

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 4/2/23 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve used several makes of cordless impact wrench’s , Milwaukee, Snap On , and DeWalt to name a few, I tend to still use a Snap On 1/2”” air wrench which takes some beating for loosening bolts etc or a Snap On 3/8” cordless for just nipping up wheel bolts before using a torque wrench for final tightening . If I had to buy a new 1/2”” cordless then without doubt it would be a Milwaukee , some serious grunt!
number-1

posted on 4/2/23 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies chaps and the links

Ive spent 2 days watching youtube videos of people undoing nuts

There seems to be a huge range of results with each video which confuses me even more as they are the same make and model. In fairness there are loads of decent honest reviews out there. For something i will use a few times a year i am probably overthinking it, but ideally id like something that can handle wheel nuts as ill be taking wheels on and off a few times a season.

40inches

posted on 4/2/23 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for all the replies chaps and the links

Ive spent 2 days watching youtube videos of people undoing nuts

There seems to be a huge range of results with each video which confuses me even more as they are the same make and model. In fairness there are loads of decent honest reviews out there. For something i will use a few times a year i am probably overthinking it, but ideally id like something that can handle wheel nuts as ill be taking wheels on and off a few times a season.

The battery size makes a big difference. I already had a Ryobi kit so I bought a Ryobi bare Impact wrench.
With the standard 2.5 amp battery it was useless, but with a cheap £20 Chinese 5 amp Battery it removes wheel nuts that have been tightened with over 100ft/lb torque easily

jacko

posted on 4/2/23 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I just bought one. Went for this one

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/milwaukee-m18fmtiw2f12-502x-18v-mid-torque-impact-wrench-with-friction-ring-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAofieBhDXARIsAHTTldr ovFDGJwj3ltmsyHoineXFPoKXF2cRJduq4ECtrNd7lQAeXhkXGrIaAqvNEALw_wcB

Wanted something powerful but not too big that it can't fit in around suspension and brakes. The thing has some serious power but also has a neat feature to select minimal torque so you can use it to run up smaller fasteners too.

Good choice .
when I was working ( retired now ) we used Milwaukee tools but what we found is where the lugs hold the battery on they wear out and the battery don’t hold on
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sanzomat

posted on 6/2/23 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'll start with a question. Do you have any existing cordless tools so already have a battery system/charger to hand? If so obviously it'll be cheaper for you to just buy a bare tool and use your existing batteries. My cordless tools are all Erbauer EXT (Screwfix/B&Q brand but identical to American Skil PWRcore range) and I've been pretty pleased with them. I bought their impact wrench bare and it hasn't been beaten by anything I've tried it on yet - wheel nuts no problem, even undid the crank pulley and hub nuts (took quite a few rattles though!). Nice and small/light too. Rated at 240Nm. They've just bought out a bigger/heavier one too that is rated at 560Nm and weirdly it is cheaper than the small one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.