Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R - What Oil?
PaulYDP

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R - What Oil?

Guys,

What oil are you running in your ZX9R's - I got fully synthetic but I'm wondering if this could cause possible clutch slip and should I change to semi-synthetic?

Cheers,
Paul

aka Keith

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I use rockoil semi syth. thats what came with from the builder, so thats is what I use.

cheers
craig

[Edited on 21/4/09 by aka Keith]

r1_pete

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
You must use motorcycle oil, not car oil, the additives in car oil are not compatible with wet clutches.

In my R1 I use Halfords fully synthetic bike oil, gets ridden hard and never had a problem with lube or cooling.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulYDP

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have castrol racing fully syn motorbike oil, I have yet to drive the car in anything other than first gear though - I just wanted to check what others were using.
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
as above, you must only use bike engine oil that is designed for wet clutches and no slick 50 like additives either

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kriss

posted on 21/4/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
castrol do one in Halfords for bikes, T4 something its called. used on my R1 and it pulled hard and felt mega last track day. bosh a filter in there too to make sure everything dribbles out.
r1_pete

posted on 21/4/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulYDP
I currently have castrol racing fully syn motorbike oil, I have yet to drive the car in anything other than first gear though - I just wanted to check what others were using.

That will be fine....

gordon h

posted on 21/4/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
i use bike semi done over 5000m
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/4/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I use Halfords semi bike oil too. Don't like fully synth. since I had my Alfa. It just seemed too thin and had a habit of weeping out of the Alfa engine so I've fallen out with it.

dean100yz

posted on 21/4/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a good quality semi synth. Fully is OK but can give clutch slip on some bike engines (it did on my last honda MX bike)

I run Castrol. Dont get any clutch slip and will change oil every 2500 miles which costs £30 odd quid

mackei23b

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Semi synthetic in mine to!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.