Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small engine wanted - motorbike, quad, etc
ChrisW

posted on 12/4/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Small engine wanted - motorbike, quad, etc

Seems I now have a chassis sorted for my Le Mans transport project courtesy of Geoff...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/35/viewthread.php?tid=168377

...so now I need an engine. I'm sure plenty of you have something suitable gathering dust in your garages so now is the time to get rid!

Ideally I'm looking for a bike engine of 100-200cc, simpler the better, ideally air cooled rather than water. Gears are fine, as is 'twist and go'. For the application I'm going to put it to the lower the height the better I guess. Ideally you'd have all the bits to make it run. The cheaper the better of course!

That said, I'm open to anything, so let me know what you have tucked away under the bench!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
When is the 'great unveiling' going to be Chris?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ChrisW

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
When is the 'great unveiling' going to be Chris?

Depends how long it takes me to find an engine!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
KJK

posted on 13/4/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
small engine

I was thinking about the same project for le mans and decided a 125 monkey bike engine would do the trick .
ChrisW

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I took a go-ped clone last year and that was very useful and excellent fun, but I need to up the ante this year. I'll take it again this year for the Mrs and the mobility scooter for myself.

Between our crew (of 27!) we should have a good collection of petrol powered toys, probably 6 or 7 by the time you count monkey bikes, mini-motos, etc. Hoping we can get a chance to line them up on mad friday for a 6-way drag race!

Chris

My gaff my rules

bigbravedave

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used an engine out of a yp250 4 stroke scooter for a project a few years ago. I took a jigsaw to the rear wheel then turned it down to carry a sprocket to chain drive the rear axle.

I don't think it made much more than 20 hp but with rev and go, cvt, then geared 2:1 from the rear moped wheel sprocket carrier to rear axle it was suprisingly quick to do 0-40. and very very quiet.

a 125 4 stroke moped engine in a mobility scooter would be ace, ok so its water cooled but electric start and uber quiet, stealth!

ChrisW

posted on 16/4/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nobody got an engine gathering dust in their garage?

Been offered one in Stafford, but it seems a bit too good to be true, and in my experience that means keep clear!

Chris

My gaff my rules

wilkingj

posted on 16/4/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I got a 2.5 Litre N/A Land Rover Diesel engine, just needs a piston and a head!
Good injectors and pump.

You put that in

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

splitrivet

posted on 16/4/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ChrisW

posted on 19/4/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Picked up the scooter today, so now this project can start properly. Still looking for an engine though, can't believe nobody on here can help!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/4/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Honda c90. 6volt version. Can't post, but locost transport may be found??
ChrisW

posted on 19/4/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Honda c90. 6volt version. Can't post, but locost transport may be found??

I'd prefer something a bit bigger to be honest, but thanks for the offer. If I'm still struggling in a few days I may well take you up on it!

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.