Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: 2 or 4 post lift and buying advice
Wheels244

posted on 19/10/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: 2 or 4 post lift and buying advice

Hello All

I'm wanting to put a 4 post lift in my garage for a couple of reasons.
The obvious one of working on the cars - the other so I can store one car on the lift with the other underneath it.

I can't afford a new one, so was looking for a second hand one - I would consider a 2 post lift or even a single post one.

I'd like it to be as compact as possible to maximise room in the garage - my roof is quite high although I don't think I'll be able to maximise the lift to full height.

Has anyone got anything for sale or advice on buying one - single phase preferred.

There's quite a few on eBay with vastly different prices.

Cheers

Rob

mark chandler

posted on 19/10/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
2 post lift over a 4 post one any day of the week.

Take up less room and much easier to work on the car with these.

I think you will struggle to find a second hand one that is any good for £500, the arms start to sag as they get old so before you purchase ask the seller to put a heavy car on it and see how sturdy it is, as in all things well used and worn out can be a close call at the bottom end.

You should be able to replace a three phase motor with a single but the costs of a decent reversible motor needs to be balanced into the price.

Regards Mark

fazerruss

posted on 19/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

If you get a decent one I very much doubt the arms will sag unless they are already bent.
Mine was well used when I bought it and left outside but still repairable.

2 post is the way to go I wouldnt be without mine now. The Avon is kept up there out of the way and leaves loads of room to park and work underneath.

Go for a screw lift rather than hydraulic as a lot simpler to repair.

You may struggle to get one for £500. Mine was £150 but then add the cost of the parts to do a proper refurb. I fitted a new 5hp motor (you need to go bit bigger with single phase to get the required starting torque), lift nuts, limit switches, bearings, drive chain, contactors, rubber pads, belts, paint.

I had to make new bushes ,top bearing housing, 3 way drive pulley, anchor nuts.

Then wiring it up... you need to know what yer doing to get it to work properly with the limit switches and reversing the motor.

The total cost was about £600 but only cos I wave the equipment to do it. Mine was in need of alot of tlc but was well worth it.
Its a Werther 2.5 tonne which are about £3000 new are popular so parts are easy to get. If you Know where to look.

[Edited on 20/10/12 by fazerruss]

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Wheels244

posted on 20/10/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
£500 is around the figure I was wanting to spend - give or take.

How stable are the 2 posts when you're riving around underneath or removing heavy parts ?

I think there's pros and cons for both.

If storing a car on a 2 post longer term, would the lift be ok with that and what about the suspension on the car 'sagging' for long periods ?

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get one please - eBay is a minefield of honest people, charlatans and dishonest people - all in my opinion of course.

Thanks

Rob

mark chandler

posted on 20/10/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Two posters are very good, provided you get the balance correct removing large parts is not an issue, have pulled many range rover gearboxes out from under them.

Just get the arms out as far as possible.

Sagging suspension, or flat tyres. My DB 7 spent 6 years on a two post lift before I purchased it, this does not seem to have done it any harm.

Parking underneath, you have more room under a two post lift, the lifts lock in place so not an issue, the dangerous ones were the single post hydraulic ones which disappeared years ago.

I would be very tempted with a sub £1000 new one on eBay, it will not be heavily used so should last a lifetime in hobby hands.

Regards Mark

theprisioner

posted on 20/10/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Bradbury 4 poster

I bought one of the old Telcamit/Bradbury one from a garage who was changing it out for safety reasons (it is now 30 years old). I spent a total of £750 restoring and purchasing it in the first place. I changed it to single phase. It was the best thing I ever did in terms of keeping my enthusiasm going for restoration and car building. No more lying under cars, can't beat a ramp for gaining access to cars esp for welding. I have one comment to make and that is one of my cars is an old jag. Jags need 4 poster for long term storage otherwise the suspension falls off (guaranteed).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.