Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small front number plate and mot
sonic

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Small front number plate and mot

Hi guy

I am about to take my Indy for an MOT, it has had a small front number plate fitted. will it pass or do i need to get a full size one made up just for the MOT?

rf900rush

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Safest would be a proper plate.

I booked my Dax rush in for a MOT before it was Registered and SVA'd.

Done on the Chassis number.

But many things have changed since 2003.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Quinten

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Simple answer: it will depend on your tester. Technically speaking, no it will not pass. Practically speaking, mine has passed the past two years with a small vinyl plate on top of the nose.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
And it isn't just the MoT you have to worry about. Upset a boy in blue, they may take a dim view too. However, chances are you will get away with it.
cliftyhanger

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
oops, double post!

[Edited on 13/4/16 by cliftyhanger]

chillis

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Incorrect size/shape plate and incorrect font are all MOT fails as is a plate that is not vertical or near vertical ie vinyl plates on nosecones.
The boys in blue don't like non-standard plates either and they tend to consider such as attempts to avoid detection by APNR/average speed camera's.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

rm0rgan

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a smaller plate on front, you can order one from Fancyplates website and in the comments/request section as them to make the plate using legal sized letters, numbers and spacings and then ask them to leave an 11mm border around the edge and be sure to BS Stamp it.

It's virtually the same size as a 3/4 size plate but perfectly legal and looks better than full size. Hope this helps someone.

Sigs are uncool.

Andi

posted on 13/4/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mine failed 2 years ago

Got a big one i just stick over the little one for mot`s.

It`s fell off again

owelly

posted on 13/4/16 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_630.htm
Mine passes each year with no/small plate but that's the least of the cars problems....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/4/16 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Mine passes with no front plate. But that's tester discretion, boys in blue don't seem to care either around Kent.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Bluemoon

posted on 14/4/16 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm0rgan
If you want a smaller plate on front, you can order one from Fancyplates website and in the comments/request section as them to make the plate using legal sized letters, numbers and spacings and then ask them to leave an 11mm border around the edge and be sure to BS Stamp it.

It's virtually the same size as a 3/4 size plate but perfectly legal and looks better than full size. Hope this helps someone.

Sounds like a good idea, the rules do allow for a smaller plate, but only a little smaller. The EU bit's a bobs have allowed for a smaller plate, all I did was chop these bits off so it has correct spacing and spacing but now fits fine under the nose cone..

See page 9 off:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf
Dan

[Edited on 14/4/16 by Bluemoon]

wicket

posted on 14/4/16 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
As Bluemoon. I was lucky with the issued reg number having only 2 numbers and one of those was a 1.

[Edited on 14/4/16 by wicket]

nick205

posted on 14/4/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that a non standard plate (size, font etc) is an MoT fail. On my MK Indy I fitted normal size front plate and never had any issues. The MoT tester did make a comment that he was pleased to see a full size plate fitted and I guess may have failed a small plate. For info I made an angled alloy bracket riveted to the bottom front edge of the nose cone and the plate fitted to the front. I was slightly wider than the front of the nosecone, but to my mind you can't see it when you're driving so don't worry about it.

ETA...If I were a policeman I'd be inclined to stop quite a lot of people and tell them they shouldn't be on the road driving, Particularly those who see fit to place eyebrows atop their headlights - sorry if that offends you, but I have to be honest and say they offend me enormously

[Edited on 14/4/16 by nick205]

posted on 14/4/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have what's referred to as an import plate, smaller but legal, as fitted to, er, imports.

No ones ever asked me where the car was made, so if anyone gets nosey then I made it just over the border;
the Essex Suffolk border that is.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.