Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jap imported cars
roadrunner

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Jap imported cars

As title. What's the downside of buying one. Been after an Audi S4 v8 b7 avant. The best one I can find is an import.

Thanks in advance

Brad.

gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
no great downside, Japan has different car tax rules which makes export attractive, and since it should already have eu type approval would not require iva.
but then the 'main dealers' may not recognise it, just to make getting spare more difficult.
also get an insurance quote first.

roadrunner

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't think of insurance, thanks.
Wadders

posted on 5/6/16 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
As title. What's the downside of buying one. Been after an Audi S4 v8 b7 avant. The best one I can find is an import.

Thanks in advance

Brad.

Its 20 odd years since i bought an imported Celica, so things have probably changed a lot. Back then i had to go on a day trip to Southern Ireland to allow me to register it.

Downsides apart from the enforced day trip were:

Speedo was in KPH
Car was restricted to 110 MPH
It had been fitted with TV screens (removed before export) which left quite a few screw holes in trim.
Radio didn't work over here.
There was something with the lights needed changing , but i can't remember what.
Doubt you will be able to HPI check it, so potentially could be damaged and repaired.
Insurance may be more (any excuse etc)

I reckon its a well trodden path by now, so probably less of a risk as it was back then. If you use a reputable importer i can't see a problem.

roadrunner

posted on 5/6/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The car already has a UK plate.
gremlin1234

posted on 5/6/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
in that case, just go for it ;-)

CosKev3

posted on 5/6/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I know with Japanese manufactured cars you need to check them carefully for rot,as they weren't underseal ed for the JDM.
The likes of Evos/imprezas etc.

But would presume a Audi would have the same protection on the underside as a European one?

perksy

posted on 5/6/16 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
As above, also *If* you ever came to PX it at a dealer it would be worth less than an equivalent UK car

Mate had this with a Citroen and they offered him 1k less for it because it was an import

Seemed strange, but the main dealer said it was standard practice...

morcus

posted on 5/6/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
The only real problem I had was they use a different kind of wiring set up and a few other parts were different (And because it had been here a while some stuff had been converted to EU spec. That was on a Japanese car though.

Japan doesn't follow the same standards and cars can be different due to market conditions such as tax rules and tastes so it would be worth trying to find out either way if the Japanese car is different.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

hizzi

posted on 5/6/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
my neighbour always buys jap imports, skylines and pajeros mainly. i have done plenty work on them only issue we find is rot. we find the jap cars dont have the rust protection , maybe different with audi but as long as you are prepared to waxoil etc bash on, he has had some fantastic cars
mark chandler

posted on 5/6/16 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I got screwed royally on insurance for a MR2 turbo, UK Toyota refused to sell any parts for it as well, I only wanted a thermostat.

Neither would put me off now as an old git so insurance is pennies relatively - the only upside to getting older!

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

To me that indicates it's already been correctly imported, registered and should be OK. Insurance may cost you more, but you can check this before buying it. When I took my MK Indy for it's SVA in Southampton there were two young guys bringing Japanese cars in straight from the docks to have them inspected and registered - process seemed fast and easy from where I was observing it.

roadrunner

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Checked the insurance out. The registration came back as an Audi 2.8 rather than a 4.2. The price difference was only minimal.
Checked with dvla and it is registered as a 4.2 litre.
I'll do another insurance quote to make sure.

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Checked the insurance out. The registration came back as an Audi 2.8 rather than a 4.2. The price difference was only minimal.
Checked with dvla and it is registered as a 4.2 litre.
I'll do another insurance quote to make sure.

May be worth doing it verbally over the phone so you get a chance to check fully and correct any incorrect details. The insurance for 4.2L must (or should) be considerably more then for a 2.8L engine. The grief in the event of a claim if incorrectly insured isn't worth thinking about

coyoteboy

posted on 6/6/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
If it's sold in the UK as the same model then you will have no problems. One of my tin tops is fairly heavily imported (Toyota) and insurance quote were the same, Toyota are fine supplying parts (if they are not, find another dealer) so I'm sure Audi would be the same. But I'd want to see it before buying.

roadrunner

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I am seriously tempted. Insurance wise, an S4 is only £10 -20 more than my 2.o turbo quattro petrol , and only another £10 or so for an RS4. Diesel on the other hand is an extra £100 with less power to play with.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.