Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dipstick disaster
JeffHs

posted on 23/6/16 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Dipstick disaster

Just finishing off an oil change and the bottom part of my Pinto dipstick fell off and is now sitting in the sump. I can 'feel' it with a magnet but of course the broken bit is too long to come out of the dipstick hole sideways so it just falls back in again. It broke at the full mark so I guess there is a piece about 1 to 1.5 inches long.
Dare I forget about and just leave it there or is this a sump off job?

David Jenkins

posted on 23/6/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know that I'd worry about it if I'd left it in there... sump off, I think...

Adamirish

posted on 23/6/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Just finishing off an oil change and the bottom part of my Pinto dipstick fell off and is now sitting in the sump. I can 'feel' it with a magnet but of course the broken bit is too long to come out of the dipstick hole sideways so it just falls back in again. It broke at the full mark so I guess there is a piece about 1 to 1.5 inches long.
Dare I forget about and just leave it there or is this a sump off job?

I wouldn't chance it to be honest.

I'd drain the oil and try an fish it out of the sump plug hole before going to the effort of taking the sump off. With a bit of patience, I'm sure you'll be able to get it out.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

nick205

posted on 23/6/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose in theory the pick up gauze will prevent it being sucked up That said the chance of it sloshing around and about would make me want it out. You may get it out through the drain hole, but I suspect it's a sump off job to be sure of removing it.

owelly

posted on 23/6/16 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about it. Where do you think it's going?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daf

posted on 23/6/16 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd do it - if it does go wrong you'll be eyeing up those sump bolts wishing that was all you had to contend with!
gaz_gaz

posted on 23/6/16 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fix it properly and forget it ever happened or worry about it everytime you hear or think you hear a noise that's almost certainly not related!
benchmark51

posted on 23/6/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Get a 'hairy great' magnet and try dragging it to the drain hole. Remove the magnet and drain the oil, with luck it will try to come out with the flow of oil. You may have to 'fish' for it with a small magnet or tweezers, it's quite fun. My sump is shortened and the bung is on the side so it was quite easy.
JeffHs

posted on 23/6/16 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
'Get a 'hairy great' magnet and try dragging it to the drain hole.'

Now that's a great idea and as it's an ali sump it might just work

perksy

posted on 23/6/16 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd drain the oil and try the magnet idea

Pinto sump gaskets are a pita to fit and get oil tight if the engine is still in the car

I've got an extendable rod with a strong magnet on the end and it's got me out of the shite on several occasions...

SteveWalker

posted on 23/6/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I remember testing a large, industrial compressor many years ago. Gas turbine powered. About 24,000 BHP. A week of that testing was done with a nut lying in the bottom of the oil tank for the gas generator (jet engine)
benchmark51

posted on 23/6/16 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Way back in the 70's, I remember a 'dipstick' that dropped a nut down the inside of Lotus Elan timing cover. Decided to leave it and take a chance. The car got 3 miles down the road before the chain broke
hizzi

posted on 24/6/16 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
leave it alone it will lie in the sump for years, theres probably all sorts in the bottom anyway, how many sumps have you removed and found bits of metal. and if the engine does let go its a good exuse to tell the wife you need a newer faster one
pewe

posted on 24/6/16 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Locost and simple solution - a Magnetic sump plug?
That should keep it out of circulation, then at least you'll know where it is...
You might even be able to wiggle it out next oil change
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10.
PS personally it would niggle the sh*t out of me so I'd have no option but to drop the sump - time for some new bearings?

coozer

posted on 24/6/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Leave it??? What happens when it find its way to the crank/rods/piston/cylinder......

I would not rest until I had removed it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JeffHs

posted on 26/6/16 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Got it! Risked a startup to get it up the ramps. Dropped the oil. Using a big magnet I dragged the broken bit across the sump towards the drain hole. I could hear it moving which was good news. Then fished through the drain hole with my magnet on a stick and out it came.
Happy chappy!
Now I need to find another dipstick.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
RESULT!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.