Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted: Someone to draw a ROPS in CAD for the Zeus
jeffw

posted on 31/3/18 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Wanted: Someone to draw a ROPS in CAD for the Zeus

I'm trying to get the ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) on the Zeus certified by the MSA. The process is that you need to present a CAD drawing to the MSA to have a homologation number issued and then send the drawing or ROPS to MIRA for FEA or deflection testing.

We have a spare chassis which has had the ROPS modified and I need the ROPS drawn up in CAD to be able to present to the MSA. I need two versions, one without the Petty Strut and one with. The spare chassis is in Maldon, Essex at Geoff Page Racing's workshop. I'm prepared to pay a reasonable amount for someone to do this but it needs to be asap. I've broken my leg so am housebound at the moment.

Anyone fancy measuring it up and drawing it for me?

[Edited on 31/3/18 by jeffw]

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 31/3/18 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
What exactly is the issue with the current ROPS Jeff, is the main hoop undersize. When all this trouble cropped up, I applied for a certificate from the MSA and as I had cut the front stays out it didn't comply, obviously. The cure was to remove the original roll hoop and fit a new one which was 2mm larger on the o.d....I could have put the original forward stays in but then I couldn't have got in the cockpit. My local scrut came along, measured it with scanner to check the thickness etc and wrote out the paperwork.....
Sam_68

posted on 31/3/18 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought that Doctor Derek Doctors (Callan from T89 designs would be your man on here, for this?

I'd be able to do it, but my workload is solid for a good 3-4 months at present.

jeffw

posted on 31/3/18 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
What exactly is the issue with the current ROPS Jeff, is the main hoop undersize. When all this trouble cropped up, I applied for a certificate from the MSA and as I had cut the front stays out it didn't comply, obviously. The cure was to remove the original roll hoop and fit a new one which was 2mm larger on the o.d....I could have put the original forward stays in but then I couldn't have got in the cockpit. My local scrut came along, measured it with scanner to check the thickness etc and wrote out the paperwork.....

The whole chassis is made from 35mm T45. As you can see the main hoop is from the floor of the chassis in one hoop. Before the modifications the near side upper bend in the main hoop would have failed the FEA/Deflection test so a new crossbar/petty strut was put in. To comply with the BB it would need to be 50mm x 2.5mm CDS and I really don't want to bastardise the chassis to do that.

jeffw

posted on 31/3/18 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
I'd have thought that Doctor Derek Doctors (Callan from T89 designs would be your man on here, for this?

I'd be able to do it, but my workload is solid for a good 3-4 months at present.

Good shout, thanks Sam

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 31/3/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
My main hoop was 35mm but the regs said I could go to 38.4mm and it wouldn't need recertificating.so I cut it out and bent a new hoop. Obviously a bi easier than yours Jeff but it should be fairly simple to cut the main hoop out and fit a new one at 50mm and retain the forward drag struts which seem more than adequate..
Smokey mow

posted on 31/3/18 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to read that you're still having trouble getting this passed Jeff.

Having put my JW4's ROPS through the homologation process with MIRA and the MSA last year I'd have to say that both were straight forward to deal with and very helpful. Your Zeus chassis looks a lot more complex than mine was though and I'd imagine would be a quite a challenge to measure and model. I've too much else on to offer to model it at the moment I'm afraid, but if you're still stuck in a months time give me a shout and I may be able to help.

[Edited on 31/3/18 by Smokey mow]

motivforz

posted on 2/4/18 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be happy to model and draw this for you, unfortunately I'm nowhere near Essex so can't help with the measuring side. If you could supply me with X y z positions of all the nodes and member sections then I'd be able to model it up. Get in touch if I can help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.