Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor transportation
locogeoff

posted on 5/2/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Donor transportation

Hello

Despite all advice to the contrary, I intend to buy a Morris Minor, the problem I have is getting it from Carlise to Edinburgh.

I have tried through ebay to find transport but so far only had one reply from a guy in Doncaster who quoted a reasonable ppm of 50p but because of his location the round trip miles where racking up making it a bit uneconomical.

Can anyone recommend someone either in the Carlisle or Edinburgh areas who could transport the car for me thus cutting the round trip cost or hire me a trailer, I can get a Volvo 244 I think it is (the big square thing that used to be loved by antique dealers) though I haven't found out what the maximum towing weight of one is.

Or is anyone willing to pick up the job my budget is around the £100 mark but am open to negotiations plus your tea up here, a few tinnies, and a bed for the night should you choose

cheers

Geoff

I could possibly get an A frame, and tow it myself, is this feasable for a 100 mile trip?

NigeEss

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
100 miles with an A-Frame is no problem, just stop occasionally to check all's still nice and tight.

Do bear in mind what you are towing with as you effectively have an unbraked trailer which may exceed your legal towing limit.
But saying that, I did once tow a Celica behind a Chevette 120miles and that was well over weight. Went ok though.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

JoelP

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
be cautious of the law on this one, im sure someone recently insisted that something towed on a dolly needed insurance, as it wasnt covered by the towing vehicles insurance. Not so if its on a full trailer.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Trev Borg

posted on 5/2/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Towing dolly's and A frames ARE illegal except for recovery of broken down vehicle.

Unless the total weight of the car being towed is less than 750kg. This figure is for the max weight of the towed car fully loaded to its max weight permissable, even if there is nothing in it (max load as of chasssis plate). This excludes all current manufactured vehicles.( i think)
If its above 750 kg, all the road wheels have to be braked.

Saying that, we still made our own A'frame and towed 1.5 tonne Alfa 164 back to ours on the back of a volvo T5 at well, shall we say somewhere near the nation speed limit.

You can hire the A'frames from speedy hire, HSS for £25.
Thats what i would do.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

trextr7monkey

posted on 6/2/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Transport and or trailers

Hi,
We have used JSD Transport services to shift 3 vehicles on a part load basis, this works brilliantly if you are not in a rush, basically they slide your vehicle on a trailer towed behind a job where time is more of the essence. David also hauls cars backwards and forwards from Fergusons at Whitehaven who deal and break in Classic cars so they travel this way fairly frequently. This eliminates any problems with the law and by the time you put in the cost of the fuel he can be just as cheap, he advertises in the back of most of the motoring mags such as Practical Classics and he has a website that you willbe able to find easily. Good luck
Mike

locogeoff

posted on 7/2/05 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Managed to find a haulage company who'll do it for a ton, if they turn out to be good will give them a mention.

cheers for all advice

Geoff

Baldrick

posted on 7/2/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
There are two Morris Minor's in a field by the A7 near Gorebridge - about 10 -15 miles from Edinburgh. Might be useful if you need spares. Nothing to do with me except I drive past them every day.
bigbriglasgow

posted on 9/2/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I could do it for you for arround about that price with my van and trailer. let me know if yr interested

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.