Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air angle grinder
ADD

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Air angle grinder

I am after a decent quality air angle grinder preferably 4" or smaller. Cheers Adam
Humbug

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it's like selecting an air guitar, it can be any size you like
rusty nuts

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If I can find it I have one that I haven't used in several years , will have a look for you but no promises I can find it .
JoelP

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
ive just bought a smaller 3" air cut off tool for £20 or 30 from machine mart. Not bad for a new tool i thought. Bear in mind you will need a monsterous compressor for an air grinder.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ADD

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have got a 3" air grinder that I bought from machine mart but even my 3/150 wont run it, it also wont run the die grinder I bought from machine mart. After talking to someone who knows more than I do about these things and it seems the cheaper tools have less efficient air motors so a better quality tool might solve the problem.
Triton

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing that will solve that is a bigger pump

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Those tools eat air like theres no tommorow.
The die grinder you talk about runs no bother on a 3hp compressor. BIGGER PUMP IS THE ONLY WAY

ADD

posted on 11/1/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
The die grinder you talk about runs no bother on a 3hp compressor. BIGGER PUMP IS THE ONLY WAY

Please enlighten me, 'BIGGER PUMP IS THE ONLY WAY' 3hp motor is enough, what do I need to change? Suppying air to a tool from the resevior surley has nothing to do with the motor its more to do with the bores of the connectors and the tools motor. No???

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cut-off grinder that's pathetic on a springy spiral air hose - goes really well on a large-bore pipe.

It does eat air though - my 3HP compressor soon empties its 50 litre tank...

David

[Edited on 11/1/06 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts

posted on 11/1/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry ,not been able to find air grinder , if I come across it will let you know . The reason I haven't used it is apart from the fact you need a good supply of air I found it to be Noisier than an electric grinder and also bloody cold to use
David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The reason I haven't used it is apart from the fact you need a good supply of air I found it to be Noisier than an electric grinder and also bloody cold to use

And oilier (if that's a word) if you use an in-line oiler... after a while you find everything's covered in a thin film...

Does anyone do a small electric cut-off grinder?

David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ADD
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

Please enlighten me, 'BIGGER PUMP IS THE ONLY WAY' 3hp motor is enough, what do I need to change? Suppying air to a tool from the resevior surley has nothing to do with the motor its more to do with the bores of the connectors and the tools motor. No???

The way we have done it is to get a 15 mm I/D pipe from the compessor to the garage that improves the performance no end.
You still have to wait sometimes for the res to fill but we get long runs and you generally are not running flat out all the time anyway.I have another 150 liter res but have yet to connect it up for the sand blaster.

We still keep a small compressor for the riviter and the nailer so we can take them to the boat yard or out of the wshop jobs.

caber

posted on 11/1/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Your 15mm pipe will quite effectively increase your reservoir volume depending on its length! In the USa you can buy air tanks very cheaply from their equivalent of Halfords (Kragens). they are handy for charging and throwing in the back of the pickup for small jobs or just hooking in line with the garage compressor to give you an extra 20 litres, for some reason, probably pressure vessel regulations not available in the UK

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.