Board logo

coiled cable
givemethebighammer - 18/1/07 at 05:57 PM

coiled cable

Does anyone know where I can get a small quanity of coiled power cable something like below?

I only really need 2 core cable as it's for the front of the car when I need to take the nose cone off and disconnect the indicators. I thought coiled cable would be neater than the length of straight stuff I have fitted at the moment.

thanks Rescued attachment coiled cable.JPG
Rescued attachment coiled cable.JPG

graememk - 18/1/07 at 05:59 PM

wouldnt a plug and socket be better?

something like you get on an electric lawnmover or hedge trimmer?

[Edited on 18/1/07 by graememk]

givemethebighammer - 18/1/07 at 06:05 PM

I have some of those radio controlled car power connectors on the current straight cables. The problem is that with the nose cone fitted the distance between where the indicators are mounted and where the cable comes out of the loom is very short. However to be able to get the nose cone off (to be able to disconnect the cables) the cable needs to be much longer, hence the coiled cable idea.

[Edited on 18/1/07 by givemethebighammer]

zetec7 - 18/1/07 at 06:16 PM

The true "locost" way would be to use the cord off an old blow drier! Two poles, will take plenty of current, and cheap!

Richard Quinn - 18/1/07 at 07:41 PM

Rs Components

BenB - 18/1/07 at 07:45 PM

Don't maplins do them? I also seem to remember seeing them on Flebay (I wanted coiled signal cable for an intercom unfortunately)......

Otherwise you can get coiled guitar leads- think they're 3 core....

ch1ll1 - 18/1/07 at 08:40 PM

you could always pull you old mans headphones apart

ayoungman - 18/1/07 at 08:44 PM

Yep coiled audio leads will be OK. They are up to handling the power. 10 amp max tho'

gazza285 - 18/1/07 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Otherwise you can get coiled guitar leads- think they're 3 core....

It's microphone leads that are three core, guitar leads are two core.

mike4444244 - 18/1/07 at 11:06 PM

hi
vehicle wiring products will have them..
Vehicle wiring products

No one working on cars should be without this catalogue they are very helpful too!

mike

vorn - 19/1/07 at 02:42 AM

dont laugh but I have made some at work by winding the wire around a piece of steel and putting it in the oven at a low temp (think it was about 70' ) let it cool and taken off the steel , It worked well .

Now thats locost !!!!

[Edited on 19/1/07 by vorn]