Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted: Tintop
Keith Weiland

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted: Tintop

Due to problems I am having with my current tin top I am looking to buy an new car, I am looking for something which has good fuel economy as I do 100 miles a day but also is comfortable and fairly silent at motorway speeds. I would like something with less than maybe 75000 miles and newer than year 2000. I only have about $5000 to spend. Any suggestions or does anyone have something for sale that fits the bill?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

or better still do you have any car auctions near you?

I have had some real bargains from auctions and its good fun at the same time.

visit a few times first so you know how it all works and take a level headed mate with you to hold you back a bit.

Choose carefully and you could get a very nice car for not a lot of money.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Taken from Autotrader - this should fit the bill.

2000 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 GT TDI 110 5dr Diesel Hatchback
Price:
£4,000

Features: 98,000 miles Manual SILVER Diesel 5 Door Hatchback V reg (2000) Full Description: Glossary of Terms
Manual, 98,000 miles, Silver. GT TDi spec which includes. ABS, Adjustable seats, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Alarm/Immobiliser, Power assisted steering, Radio/Tape/CD, Sports seats, Traction control. Insurance Group:10, 2 keys. MOT Feb 2008. TAX Jan 2008. Full service history. Last service @ 94k. Last cambelt change @ 85k. Fab example of VW's Golf GT TDi. Beautiful drive. Excellent condition throughout! At this price, first to see will buy!. £4,000

Private Seller:
Email address: Email Advertiser

Contact number: 075115 70340

Distance: 31 miles from le10 0rd Rescued attachment media.jpg
Rescued attachment media.jpg

Keith Weiland

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about going to an auction but then I was afraid that I might buy a ringer or something with problems that I wouldn't be able to spot at the auction and what do you do then?

I have been browsing autotrader and have seen a few decent cars but thought I would ask here in case someone was selling something or new personally of a good deal.

Thanks for the help.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Buying from an auction is actually just as safe as buying from a dealer. When you buy at auction you pay a small buyers premium which insures you against it being a ringer or on HPI etc. The premiums are usually posted on a sign in the reception.

You do need to listen to the auctioneer very carefully as he may say that it is on the register as a cat D or cat C etc which means that it could be an insurance write off, stolen recovered etc.

In the price range you are looking at you will be able to get a car with a warranty. This means that you may have as long as an hour after the auction ends to test the car and report any faults - you can then chip the price or get a refund if the auction's engineer agrees with you.

I would personally be a lot more worried about buying a ringer privately than through an auction. - You have no comeback at all if you end up buying a ringer from a private seller unless you can find him - but then if he sold you a ringer, he is hardly likely to have given his correct address

Once you have bought through an auction you'll probably get hooked and want to buy all your cars there in future.

Good hunting

Cheers

Mark

MikeR

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
You just highlighted my issue with auctions ...

1 hour to spot a problem.

I like the peace of mind of being able to go back a few hours, day or even a week later and politely go "oi, git, its broke, fix".

Perhaps i need to understand the price difference between auction and non main dealer so i'll accept that risk.

DarrenW

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
As Mark says, auctions arent allowed to sell Cat cars without declaring them. The one ive been to before put the details up on a screenbefore bidding starts.

Much easier to but a duff car privately.

At auctions ive always looked out for dealer trade ins which are plentiful just after a plate change. Some great cars end up at auction just because the original owner fancied something new and it was too old etc for the dealer so they offload them. Go a few times with hands glued into pockets and you soon suss out who the dealers are and what to look out for. It can make for a good night out. If the dealers are fighting over a car you can bet your life its a good one.

DarrenW

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
You just highlighted my issue with auctions ...

1 hour to spot a problem.

I like the peace of mind of being able to go back a few hours, day or even a week later and politely go "oi, git, its broke, fix".

Perhaps i need to understand the price difference between auction and non main dealer so i'll accept that risk.

Exactly Mike - you pay a big premium for the peace of mind of taking a car back to the glossy sale room to complain about problems - then you are in the wonderful world of worthless warranties and sevice manager battles.
Dont get me wrong - i bought a BMW from main dealer for peace of mind but company car allowance meant i could afford it. As a personal car id have no reservations looking to an auction. You just have to have your wits about you - hence recommending toi attend a few times before the big night and prepared to not get the right car for a few weeks. When you do though it may be a better car for the money.

Keith Weiland

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well I am almost convinced to try an auction, anyone know of one near Leicester or maybe a website which list them? Are they all open to the public? Can you view the cars before the auction in a lot or something? how long do they last or how long should I expect to be there to see all the cars or at least the one I am interested in?

Thanks

mookaloid

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Google for auctions in your area.

You can go to any auction as a private individual.

You can view all the cars before they go into the ring but you probably wont hear them running until they actually go in.

Auctions vary in length according to the number of lots - you should get there at least half an hour before the start so that you can look over the cars and identify the ones of interest to you.

Take a warm coat and a price guide. Watch plenty of lots go through so that you can start to gauge values against your book.

It's more fun if you take a mate who knows about cars too.

When you decide to bid on one decide how much you are willing to pay and don't - that's DON'T go over that amount. You will have to have eye contact with the auctioneer to bid so make sure he sees you. You will also have to pay a deposit on the fall of the hammer as you won't have an account there. - Read the notices on the walls for the rules at that particular auction.

If you win a car and it's sold with a warranty you will have enough time to see if there are any major faults. If you miss any minor ones you'll have saved so much money that it won't matter. If you have really bought a pup, polish it up clean the interior and under the bonnet and stick it back in the auction the following week you should get most if not all your money back.

When you have found the bargain that you went for - go to the travel agent and book a holiday with the money you've saved

Cheers

Mark

Hellfire

posted on 19/9/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
One word of advice I would give, is to go regularly and try and find out who the auction traders are and which days are best to attend.

I used to visit Rothwell Motor auction near Leeds every Monday and Saturday for months on end before eventually buying a car. You see traders buying cars on the Monday from the various lease/finance companies and then polishing them up and selling them on in the Saturday open auction for big profits. They even bid on them themselves to boost the sale price and maximise their profits. Some of them don't have a forecourt from which to sell them, so have very few overhead costs.

You can save yourself thousands by buying from auction but if you're not clued up before you buy, you can also lose thousands.

Phil

graememk

posted on 19/9/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
i offen go to kings lynn aution (miles from you) but we notice that the week before payday is quiet also bonfire night.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.