Board logo

Lidl selling inspection cameras
stevegough - 28/5/12 at 04:04 PM

For 70 quid - seems reasonable for anyone who wants to see how their conrod has wrapped itself around the crankshaft without removing the cases!

Lidl offer

Wheels244 - 28/5/12 at 05:10 PM

Yeh, saw those advertised.
Has anybody got any experience of them ?
Are they any good or cheap tat ?

coyoteboy - 28/5/12 at 05:29 PM

I've been considering one for a while, the only thing that put me off is the "poor" resolution - you can get them on fleabay with a 2mp resolution and output to laptop which most of us have for less, but I've heard of issues with them.

renetom - 28/5/12 at 05:42 PM

Hi
I bought one cheap as chips
Works good & clear
Was'nt expecting much
See: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

stevegough - 29/5/12 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
Works good & clear
Was'nt expecting much

that one makes the one I found look expensive!

iank - 29/5/12 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
Works good & clear
Was'nt expecting much

that one makes the one I found look expensive!

The Lidl one does have a built in screen, 3 year guarantee and an IP67 rated probe, so it does add some value over ebay item.

v8kid - 29/5/12 at 09:28 AM

Deal!

On the basis of that reccommendation I've just bought one. I wonder how long it will take to get here from Hong Kong?

coyoteboy - 29/5/12 at 10:15 AM

Looking at the feedback from the hongkong folk I wouldn't be too happy ordering from them to be honest, hence having held off on that.

v8kid - 29/5/12 at 12:21 PM

Oh bu66er never noticed that !

Still I may be lucky and the majority of the feedback is OK.

Cheers!

loggyboy - 29/5/12 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Looking at the feedback from the hongkong folk I wouldn't be too happy ordering from them to be honest, hence having held off on that.

Seems like a fairly reasonable percentage to me, considering the volume of sales, 7 in 1000 chance of having some bad luck isnt bad odds.
I can only find 2 feedbacks relating to the endoscope over the 10 pages of his feedback, both good, so I wouldnt be too concerned.

40inches - 29/5/12 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Deal!

On the basis of that reccommendation I've just bought one. I wonder how long it will take to get here from Hong Kong?

Me too! feed back not that bad, but at that price! worth a punt

coyoteboy - 29/5/12 at 03:44 PM

now you've made me do it.

stevegough - 29/5/12 at 04:22 PM

and me! - and I started this thread! Serves me right?

v8kid - 30/5/12 at 09:05 AM

Lets see who gets one first! Does it take longer to get to Scotland or England from Hong Kong - which is closer

40inches - 30/5/12 at 09:18 AM

I ordered a SAAB stage1 ecu from Portugal, it took 36hrs to get to sorting office in London, and 4days longer to
arrive in Chesterfield

40inches - 8/6/12 at 09:53 AM

Mine came this morning Will try it out and report back.

v8kid - 8/6/12 at 07:26 PM

Rat's I'm still waiting for mine!

MikeRJ - 8/6/12 at 08:12 PM

I bought the Lidl one, can't be doing with fragile laptops and USB cables draped around when working on a car. Initial tests look very promising with a surprisingly clear view.

40inches - 8/6/12 at 08:54 PM

Well not bad at all for a tenner, the lead is a bit floppy, but that can be fixed.
See it here on yootoob, I stuck it into my PC through a drive slot.
The actual picture on a 22" monitor is better than that

coyoteboy - 12/6/12 at 02:23 PM

You really need to dust inside your PC

Just got mine, seems to work a treat, I've no problem using the old knackered laptop balanced on the workbench.

[Edited on 12/6/12 by coyoteboy]

40inches - 12/6/12 at 02:37 PM

quote:
You really need to dust inside your PC

Just got mine, seems to work a treat, I've no problem using the old knackered laptop balanced on the workbench.

[Edited on 12/6/12 by coyoteboy]

There should be a "blush" emoticon button, a 250MM and 3 x 90MM case fans have turned the PC into a vacuum cleaner

v8kid - 12/6/12 at 03:14 PM

Double Rats!

I've still not got mine - Its the same in a resturaunt I'm always the last one to get his grub

Cheers!

stevegough - 12/6/12 at 04:01 PM

Mine's arrived, too! Not a bad picture - I was even using it on the Skype as a webcam - £11 well spent!

v8kid - 12/6/12 at 09:02 PM

Ha! come at last!

China to UK 2 days England to Scotland 1 week

Works well for £11 most pleased

Cheers!

stevegough - 12/6/12 at 09:06 PM

Ok, now they've caught up at the back....

What software are you using to use the camera? - I've had to download something (but it already worked on Skype earlier by just altering the Video options).

coyoteboy - 12/6/12 at 10:08 PM

Mine came with a dinky executable on a cd.

40inches - 13/6/12 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Mine came with a dinky executable on a cd.

Same here, RsCap1.10, works well.

v8kid - 13/6/12 at 07:25 AM

I just plugged mine in and it played. I did not bother trying the CD as my pc is cluttered up with umpteen programmes that I forget how to use

Will give the cd a go though later after I've finished looking at bits of navel fluff.

Cheers!

coyoteboy - 13/6/12 at 10:55 AM

It's a generic USB webcam packaged in a nice alu tube, windows drivers should be fine so you can use whatever webcam software you'd normally use, unless you don't usually use a webcam

Peteff - 15/6/12 at 04:42 PM

Should be good for looking up old friends

stevegough - 15/6/12 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Should be good for looking up old friends

That's terrible! I'll get YOUR coat!!

Wheels244 - 15/6/12 at 08:11 PM

Just ordered one.

But not to look up old friends

stevegough - 15/6/12 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Just ordered one.

You'll never see inside your oil pump with that - not to determine what's causing the oil pressure loss, anyway.

Wheels244 - 15/6/12 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Just ordered one.

You'll never see inside your oil pump with that - not to determine what's causing the oil pressure loss, anyway.

Was going to use it just to check the condition of the bore - got to be better than my little finger

[Edited on 15/6/12 by Wheels244]

Wheels244 - 15/6/12 at 08:50 PM

Can you record the footage with these and if so how ?

coyoteboy - 15/6/12 at 08:58 PM

Not sure about the lidl ones but you can with the Ebay ones, just choose a capture file in the software and it records to AVI

coyoteboy - 15/6/12 at 08:58 PM

Not sure about the lidl ones but you can with the Ebay ones, just choose a capture file in the software and it records to AVI

Wheels244 - 15/6/12 at 09:01 PM

Thanks - it's the eBay one I've ordered

Wheels244 - 26/6/12 at 09:32 PM

Mines just arrived.

Very pleased with it - can't they can make something that works and ship it to the other side of the world for 11 quid !

FASTdan - 9/7/12 at 03:12 PM

I ordered one of the ebay ones after reading this thread....its fantastic!!

Hellfire - 20/8/12 at 07:55 PM

eBay Item

Anybody got one of these? It's similar but slightly different to the others in this thread. If so, is it any good?

Phil

coyoteboy - 20/8/12 at 08:40 PM

That's the exact one I have. It's pretty good. Focuses down to about 50mm. I can do a vid if you like?

[Edited on 20/8/12 by coyoteboy]

Hellfire - 20/8/12 at 09:39 PM

The resolution appears to be the same as the previous video already posted but can you adjust the lighting easily?

Phil

coyoteboy - 21/8/12 at 12:07 AM

It's a bit non-linear - continuous movement of the brightness setting goes BRIGHT-DIMMER-DIM-DIM but it's not hard if you have half a brain and some hand-eye coordination. It's only VGA res i think, but that seems to be enough to spot obvious marks in bores.

dhutch - 22/11/12 at 12:53 PM

Independatly of this thread ive just bought on of these for looking into my ceiling void to trace pluming and wiring.
USB ENDOSCOPE BORESCOPE VIDEO INSPECTION CAMERA

Basically the same thing, but it comes on a flexable stick, with a bit of of a handle with a wheel for controling the light brightness and a 'snap shot' button.

Arrived in 2days, seems to work so far.

Daniel

Dave Ashurst - 22/11/12 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Independatly of this thread ive just bought on of these for looking into my ceiling void to trace pluming and wiring.
USB ENDOSCOPE BORESCOPE VIDEO INSPECTION CAMERA

Basically the same thing, but it comes on a flexable stick, with a bit of of a handle with a wheel for controling the light brightness and a 'snap shot' button.

Arrived in 2days, seems to work so far.

Daniel

I hope you have a better experience than I did.

I bought one of those. What a waste. Used it once; the 640x480 resolution is poor (as expected), but I was more disappointed by it not being in focus close-up.
When I got it out to use again a few weeks later it then didn't work at all - got messages like "unrecognised usb device" and "corrupted". I tried everything to fix it - reinstalled software, gave it to the IT team at work etc, then felt foolish and finally binned it.

coyoteboy - 22/11/12 at 01:25 PM

Video of mine in use:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=176473&page=1#pid1486530

dhutch - 22/11/12 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
I hope you have a better experience than I did.

I bought one of those. What a waste. Used it once; the 640x480 resolution is poor (as expected), but I was more disappointed by it not being in focus close-up.

I appears to have a fixed focal length of around 60-80mm but gives and ok picture down to about 30mm and upto around 2meters which doesnt seem to bad. Obviously the quality and resolution is as you said 'poor and best' but its given an evenings entertainment looking around the ceiling void of the kitchen and been mildly useful already so assuming the life is better than you witnessed im happy for £30 notes and 2 day delivery.

Daniel