Board logo

Datatool Digi Gear Indicator
baslow - 24/6/15 at 08:12 AM

Morning all,

I bought a digi gear indicator from datatool and I've had it professionally fitted (electrics not my stong point) to my westfield megablade. I went out for three hours trying to program it last night and it will not work...

I have told it that it has six gears.
I have gone through all of the gears and it remembers them. (flashes fast then displays a minus sign and moves onto next gear)
When it get to the six gear and displays the minus line it then does a figure of 8 process. Once completed this is then apparently programmed.

For me, once this has completed it just doesn't remember anything. If i'm stationary it registers 0. go into 1 and registers. Drive off and change to second it then does this figure of 8 process right through all of the gears.

Spoke to a very helpful chap at datatool and he said it may need a resister fitting as its a non standard dash and also to check wiring from the rev / speedo as this is what it gets the pulse from.

Has anyone got one of these fitted and if so how did you get it to work?

cheers!

40inches - 24/6/15 at 08:48 AM

If, as you say, you had it "professionally" fitted, take it back to whoever fitted it and get them to do the job correctly.

CosKev3 - 24/6/15 at 08:54 AM

If it's like a Acumen your best programming it on axle stands, as the revs need to be steady between 2-4k rpm iirc.
also with Acumen after programming first you need to select neutral before you select second gear.

baslow - 24/6/15 at 09:04 AM

Professionally fitted in terms of the wiring. Programming was up to me... Do you have anything constructive?

jeffw - 24/6/15 at 09:13 AM

I thought that was very constructive given the information you provided.

baslow - 24/6/15 at 09:20 AM

Thanks Kev,

I think it works on the same principle as the Acumen. It does say to knock it into neutral after going into first gear then its fine the rest of the way up...Good call about putting it on stands - i'll give that a go tonight. cheers

craig5 - 24/6/15 at 09:36 AM

do youre revs flicker? maybe the rev cable needs to be shielded

40inches - 24/6/15 at 09:38 AM

You asked for advice on a forum, and I gave you advice, however if that's a problem, as they say in Dragons Den "I'm out"

baslow - 24/6/15 at 09:44 AM

The revs don't flicker they are solid right the way through. When its learning the gears some take longer than others (they flash for a lot longer before they move to the next gear) - it does complete in the end though. Could it be that the pulse is not strong enough?

baslow - 24/6/15 at 09:47 AM

Just seems a flippant comment that's all! Looking for help and advice which most are more than happy to give - thanks for your input though...

craig5 - 24/6/15 at 09:47 AM

some units ive had on my bikes over the years have not been the best not finding gears and generally getting confused ive noticed that pz racing do a plug and play indicator

Jenko - 24/6/15 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by baslow
Professionally fitted in terms of the wiring. Programming was up to me... Do you have anything constructive?

That was a bit harsh!.......

CosKev3 - 24/6/15 at 09:49 AM

I have seen it mentioned on here with R1's you need to tap into the speed sensor wire before the ECU to get them to work correctly, if you wire it into the wire that feeds the speedo from the ECU they have problems.

baslow - 24/6/15 at 10:12 AM

I bought it from demon tweaks and the chap said he has sold quite a few of these to go westies - i suppose i should have checked on here first to see what most had gone for / what works. To late though now as its fitted... I'll try what Kev suggested tonight to see if that makes a difference. I'll find out where the wire taps in too. thanks Kev

loggyboy - 24/6/15 at 11:14 AM

The datatool has a orange wire that needs to be earthed when setting how many gears it as. Once programmed its is left open.
As you havent mentioned your orange wire i guess this is the problem as its part of the programming set up.
http://datatool.co.uk/PDF/DIGI-Installation-instructions-Electronic-speedometer-version.pdf

[Edited on 24-6-15 by loggyboy]

baslow - 24/6/15 at 12:09 PM

That part works fine. Once earthed and the P flashes - I tap the earth six times and after a few seconds it go's to Zero for neutral. Pop it in first and it acknowledges this. Go right through the gears and it acknowledges this - its at the end when it attempts to save that it seems to go wrong.

james h - 24/6/15 at 08:18 PM

Hope you don't mind the slight hijack - my gear indicator flickers a lot, is there a way to shield the cables to it? It used to work fine.

baslow - 24/6/15 at 08:57 PM

Is yours the digi too James? If so did you fit it yourself?

update is - i had it on the jacks and its the same result as on the road. I can run through the programming process fine and it remembers the settings. The prolem is that is doesn't have a clue what gear it is actually in once programmed other than 0.

I expect it is now a wiring issue. It states in the instructions to hold it at 2k revs but this does not actually work in most gears... its more like 3.5k to 4.5k. I've got the chap coming round on Friday to look at the wiring so any ideas before that would be greatly welcomed...

cheers

james h - 24/6/15 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by baslow
Is yours the digi too James? If so did you fit it yourself?

cheers

Yes to both.

It used to work just fine before I rebuilt the car.

craig5 - 25/6/15 at 09:21 AM

try shield trunking cable

craig5 - 25/6/15 at 03:22 PM

bought a pz racing gear indicator from demon tweeks today and wired it in and chocked up back end and calibrated it and jus been for test run and its running great - i found that when gear gets up to 7 just declutch and gear but leave gears alone for few moment until it goes to 0 then switch off and the turn ignition on and drop back to neutral and start

craig5 - 25/6/15 at 03:23 PM

that should be de-clutch and brake

baslow - 25/6/15 at 03:39 PM

Update this morning.

We have just changed the pulse feed from the back of the rev counter to directly from the coil and now we have a slightly different scenario...

1. Programming sequence works fine;
2. Whilst programming it says to maintain 2k revs. This works fine in gears 1 and 2. For the rest I maintain 2k revs even for 3 minutes or so is nothing registered;
3. If I take the revs higher 3k to 4.5 then it does register and continues to next gear;
4. Once the programming has saved and completed I go to 0 which is registered. switch off and back on.
5. End result is 1 is registered. 0 is and 2 is. everything else does not register

I am now assuming that i am having these issues because the pulse is either not strong enough or we are not taking the pulse from the correct location?

Any thoughts?

craig5 - 25/6/15 at 03:48 PM

On the pzracing I had to plug into the Speed sensor and the crankshaft

baslow - 9/9/15 at 07:22 PM

I'm still on with this chaps. Official word from datatool is that it will not work on a non standard dash and i should therefore return. Demon tweeks say it is compatible but i should return for a refund as there is no other compatible gear indicator that they sell.

I've got nowhere to go with this now so can anyone tell me if they have a working gear indicator on a megablade and if so which model is it and how is it wired?

thanks baz

cj440 - 12/9/15 at 03:09 PM

I have a Westfield Megabird. I bought a Cartek Gear display with built in shift lights www.cartekmotorsport.com/CARTEKShiftLights.html .
Fitted it, programmed the display colour and the shift lights no problem, however I kept getting error1 displayed when attempting the gear display programme which means no speed signal. I had tapped into the speed sensor wire for the cars speedo which is not correct. I emailed Cartek for any advice (brilliant company by the way) and they emailed me straight back saying I needed to find the honda speed sensor wire which is normally pink. I had a search around & found the 3 pin connector which indeed had the pink wire. tapped into that & bingo, programmed no problem & works perfectly.

Hope this helps,

CJ.