Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K-Series HG Failure & Head Hardness
scootz

posted on 23/11/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
K-Series HG Failure & Head Hardness

I bought a MG TF 160 engine as I intend refreshing the block and using it with the head / sump from the Supersport engine I recently bought.

I knew the 160 engine was overheating when I bought it, and an inspection inside revealed lots of creamy emulsified goo! Mmmmm.

I expected the head to be scrap, but a visual and tactile inspection reveals no apparent pitting or indentation around the fire-rings, so perhaps it's salvageable? I guess the next step would be to get it hardness-tested... does anyone know how much this will likely cost and if there's anyone in the Scottish central-belt that can test it?

If it's relatively cheap and tests out ok, then I might just rebuild 160 engine and use it in the future.

[Edited on 23/11/14 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 23/11/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

SPYDER

posted on 23/11/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Would a pressure test be more appropriate? Any engine builder should be equipped to do it. I was charged £15 to test a block and a head.
scootz

posted on 23/11/14 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Been reading a bit on Dave Andrews website and he says it's imperative to check for hardness.

It's Evolution Baby!

Dooey99

posted on 23/11/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
we do alot of work with k series engines at work, we just get them pressure tested, you will almost definitely need to get it skimmed which is about £20

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

SPYDER

posted on 23/11/14 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
A quick google ...

MB Techniques clicky

scootz

posted on 23/11/14 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
LOL... I did a slow google and didn't see that!

Thank you!

It's Evolution Baby!

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Only time I have ever to get a k series head skimmed is because of corrosion it is the block that suffers if overheated, checking the liner heights is vital, but the normal head gasket failure mode on the original style gasket is simply the silicone tracks that seal between oil side and the water side becoming detached due the rolling action caused by the engine warming up too rapidly and unevenly from cold. If you do a Google on K series head shuffle it should bring in a lot of info. K series engines need lots of bypass flow to keep the block and head temperatures more or less equal.
A lot of failed head gasket repairs on the fwd models is caused by the well intentioned changing the thermostat and on building it back up omitting to replace the support bolts for the thermostat inlet water rail becaus they are very difficult to fit.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sonic

posted on 23/11/14 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Check the liners in the block, Mrs has a Freelander that i changed the head gasket on to the uprated type plus other mods recomended about 2 years ago, it been a great car since then.

About a month ago she started it cold and there was water peeing down the exhaust and steam everywere, took it apart and the head / gasket are perfect, looked down the bore and the liner had a big crack in it. it proceeded to hydrolic lock and bent a conrod, changed the liner and conrod which was fairly easy to do and off she goes again with no problems.

Also worth changing the inlet manifild gasket as these have a tendency to go, many a garage i know have changed head gaskets and it only been a cheap inlet manifold gasket.

Mikef

posted on 23/11/14 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
You really must check the liner heights. IMO they should be between 2 and 4 thou proud in old money, you can then use a MLS gasket which is the way to go. If Dave says it needs hardness testing then it does , will save you a huge amount of grief in the log run, he also suggests that you peen around the fire ring before skimming.Would also check that t he liners are still well sealed in the bore especially if the head has been off with no locking tabs put on them.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/11/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Scott
http://www.engineservicesandcomponents.com

mcerd1

posted on 24/11/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Scott
http://www.engineservicesandcomponents.com

I think he's more than familiar with them

-

scootz

posted on 24/11/14 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

Engine Services can't do the testing on the premises... they sub-contract. I was hopping to go 'direct' to minimise costs.

That said, I just had a wee chat with Alec there and he's more than happy to last his eye over the head / block to see if they're worth pursuing.

It's Evolution Baby!

mcerd1

posted on 24/11/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
^^ he probably remembers how much you spent on that Audi V8 (which I see he's still got pictures of on the website)

-

scootz

posted on 24/11/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote

To be fair, they were pretty reasonable cost wise. Great to deal with.

It's Evolution Baby!

cardo

posted on 25/11/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dreadnought in Callander may be worth a shout,they build a lot of K series engines.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.