Poll: Poll..New cordless drill.. [View Results]
Bosch GSB 18V
DeWalt DCD795D2
Makita BHP458

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll..New cordless drill..
NigeEss

posted on 18/12/14 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Poll..New cordless drill..

Narrowed it down to choice of three..
I'm biased towards the Bosch as I have one of their angry grinders that's 20 years old and still going, the
Bosch 14v drill bought at same time has only just died on original batteries. Whereas the Makita drill I bought
5 years ago is already buggered. The Dewalt appeals due to having a brushless motor, the Makita as it comes
with 2x3.0ah whist the others only have 2x2.0ah

All three are available for £200.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Texan

posted on 18/12/14 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
Corded!!!!

I've just gone through sets of Bosch, Ryobi & Black & Decker tools and while the tools are all good the batteries simply don't last.

I've tried keeping them on the charger all the time as well as allowing them to run completely down before recharging and both ways they lasted about the same amount of time, plus then there's the environmental aspect of disposing of the used batteries.

I like the freedom, but they simply don't have the power and they never have the power for as long as I need it and then it's a long recharge time.

Expensewise too they just don't add up.

I gave all my tools to my kids and just bought new corded ones and am ecstatic at the difference. It's not really a big deal to plug them in.

I drive therefore I am.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/12/14 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
How about links to them?

I am in a similar situation. My little bosch http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-cordless-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-psb18li/258347_BQ.prd has been brilliant for the past 4 years, but one battery has now failed. the only drawback to that one is the 10mm chuck, and the drill bit can come loose when used in hammer mode. But it has done far more work and been abused way beyond what should be expected of a DIY drill. Performed as well as the pro version I had prior to that. So depending on use, it can be an excellent but, especially when they turn up at £80 or so......

However, I am seriously thinking of this Bosch http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18v-lids-professional-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/17024 as the compact size appeals, plus a 1/2" chuck for hole cutters. I rarely use a battery is one session, the exception being a whisk and mixing mortar.. So the 2ah batteries should do me just fine, plus keep the weight down.

orton1966

posted on 18/12/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
We use & have used many battery drills in our workshops, these are my exsperiences:

DeWalt, bassically yellow Black and Decker, and never had much success with them

Bosch, they have two ranges, professional and consumer. The pro stuff is good, the consumer, rubbish

Makita, generally very good

NigeEss

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Texan
Corded!!!!
It's not really a big deal to plug them in.

It is when you are working several hundred yards from a power socket. In a field working on farm machinery and the like.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bart

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hitachi and metabo

both v good but very expensive. esp metabo

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

kingster996

posted on 18/12/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Makita.

Mine (the LXT) has been superb and handled drilling hundreds and hundreds of rivet holes with ease.

The larger capacity 3.0Ah battery pack is excellent and lasts ages between charges - and the recharge time is quick.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

loggyboy

posted on 18/12/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I went budget bosch when I started the kit, and has been very much used and abused, including set fire to and its still going strong 4+ years later. So my vote is bosch
similar to this, but different battery style.
http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-cordless-18v-ni-cd-drill-driver-2-batteries/184616_BQ.prd?gclid=CLuE6qXMz8ICFSIYwwodFlsA4w&ecamp=SEAPLA184616 _BQ&ef_id=U-d6hgAAAUxmXxdx:20141218123116:s

[Edited on 18-12-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

dhutch

posted on 18/12/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
Narrowed it down to choice of three..
I'm biased towards the Bosch as I have one of their angry grinders that's 20 years old and still going, the
Bosch 14v drill bought at same time has only just died on original batteries. Whereas the Makita drill I bought
5 years ago is already buggered. The Dewalt appeals due to having a brushless motor, the Makita as it comes
with 2x3.0ah whist the others only have 2x2.0ah

All three are available for £200.

I do not have any experience with the specific models, by gut instinct would be to go with the Makita and certainly they have not let me down yet, but equally the turquoise Bosch kit is good stuff, and my current cordless (a gift) is a DeWalt which has also yet to embarrass itself after three years of infrequent but regular use and occasional mild abuse.

In short, unless there are reviews to support one have a particular fault to that one model, I expect there is as little between them as in the price.

Daniel

v8kid

posted on 18/12/14 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Makita every time - at the moment! Built 7 houses and only been through two sets ( 2 out of 4 drills OK but batteries fubarred). The Lion impact drivers have unbelievable driving power.

Technology is moving so fast that you really don't want the drill to last much more than 5 years anyhow as you will be loosing out on the recent advantages.

And it does make a huge difference to productivity having to plug in. Ok if you are faffing about but if you have a time to keep to plugging in and shifting cords is a no-no.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 18/12/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
My Bosch pro lasted 3years 2houses and 2car builds. Drilling a 45mm hole with a 12inch long core drill through engineering bricks down a drain was what finally killed it.

I recently bought a Makita top of the range lxt combi drill and it is an imensley better tool. It has more torque in high speed than the Bosch In low speed. Batteries are also much bettter and last longer than the Bosch plus they charge in 20mins.

So having had both I would say go Makita but only Makita top of the range.

If your just looking at mid range Bosch and Makita then maybe the Bosch could have a chance but the Makita batteries are still superior

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

luke2152

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've had good run with my Ryobi 18v tools.

Perhaps more importantly then the brand is to make sure you go for a pair of lithium ion batteries and large ones as they make a world of difference

Slimy38

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Perhaps more importantly then the brand is to make sure you go for a pair of lithium ion batteries and large ones as they make a world of difference

My thoughts exactly. Every drill I've had has 'died' due to the batteries failing and not having a replacement. My first criteria for a new drill is one that has a 'universal' battery (or similar). Something like the Ryobi one tools seems like a good idea.

Then again, I'm after a corded drill that can be operated with one hand like a cordless. I can't afford a good enough set of batteries, but I do like the balance of a cordless drill.

Volvorsport

posted on 18/12/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Bosch pro corded drill, and battery drill/driver/hammer for most everything else.

i use 10.8v stuff lithium ion mac/dewalt. But i do work in automotive trade, if i need something, i buy it generally.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

rusty nuts

posted on 18/12/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've had Bosche followed by Hiachi , I now have a DeWalt which seems pretty good. At work we have a Milwalkie which has loads of torque so much so that I always use the screw driving torque settings when drilling to save broken drill bits
MP3C

posted on 18/12/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought the Makita cordless hammer drill and impact driver from B and Q for £169 quid. seems good at the moment and alot better than other drivers I have had in the past. At work we use mostly Milwaukee stuff and that stuff seems indestructible although like any good cordless driver it's the batteries that go first.

Matt

Davey D

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got all Milwaukee stuff. It isnt cheap, but it is very good. Would definitely recommend it
Texan

posted on 18/12/14 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Corded!!!!

It is when you are working several hundred yards from a power socket. In a field working on farm machinery and the like.

Except they don't have the power of a corded one so even tho you can technically use them, practically they won't work

I drive therefore I am.

luke2152

posted on 18/12/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Corded!!!!

Except they don't have the power of a corded one so even tho you can technically use them, practically they won't work

Practically they are a whole lot better then an egg beater drill or anything else that doesn't plug in

skodaman

posted on 19/12/14 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a De Walt which is fine. At work we've got Makitas which were half the price of the De Walt and I prefer them. To be honest neither of them have anything like the power of the cheapest nastiest Wickes mains drills. Mains drill wise I've got a Bosch which is over 25 years old.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 19/12/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
quote:
quote:
Corded!!!!

Sorry mate I can not disagree more. I work in the outdoor events industry and the business couldn't work without cordless drills. When your miles from a socket and generators are just boring corded drills just don't work. At work if you ask for a screw driver you get handed a cordless drill. If you actually want a screw driver you have to ask for a 'manual action screwdriver'.

I recently had my house rewired and the sparkies all had 24v Makita Hammer drills for chasing out sockets and core drilling. They had so much torque and power that they were almost to powerful.

I would be interested to see all these situations were a quality cordless is just not powerful enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.