Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Biggest tour in a BEC?
jonabonospen

posted on 19/1/15 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest tour in a BEC?

I am wanting to get out and about in my Mac#1 when it is finished, and wondered what the biggest tour is that someone has done in a BEC, specifically a roofless car where getting wet could be an issue?

How did you go about taking any clothing or anything? Just a rucksack between the passengers legs?

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theprisioner

posted on 19/1/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Two issues the BEC can get on your nerves on a long journey from the noise/vibration/comfort aspect. They are a pain in heavy traffic. The roof/no roof is not an issue and can be solved by bike suit, warm wet suit liner and helmet. Plenty do long journeys in their BEC, I wouldn't.

My longest journey in a BEC is 40 laps of Knockhill no rain on a racetrack at least I have never noticed any.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

kj

posted on 19/1/15 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Check out mango Scotland he uses his all year round i think. It does have weather gear.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Andy D

posted on 19/1/15 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cue Ade with his trans alp R1 Fury.
pewe

posted on 19/1/15 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
James, Hicost, on here was/does regularly long distance in his - albeit CEC.
He'll probably tell you to avoid the Pyrenees in high summer - long story - ask him.
Cheers, Pewe10

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/1/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Took my Westfield Megabusa to Zurich (wedding attendance), with a few scenic detours.

Noise: Slimline ear defenders are available (Peltor) that will fit inside your helmet, these make it all bearable without earplugs.
Equipment: I had no passenger seat, so the whole NS of the car was available for a tent, sleeping bag, etc.
Reliability: Oil level dropped frequently, I would NOT have contemplated the trip without the 2-piece prop that had replaced the flaky gearbox. Clutch plates failed (carry new ones).

Beware ramps on ferry, the edges are taller than you think, the tie-downs stand higher than you think, suggest 110mm under the sump as a minimum.

rdodger

posted on 19/1/15 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Come on Adi!

I did 3500 ish miles in 10 days with Adi. Me GTM Libra, Adi BE Fury though the soft lad does have a windscreen.

Our mutual friend Mr Mushrooms did a slightly shorter distance as he is a southern softy in a BE Phoenix ie no screen.

We try to avoid long motorway journeys and stop to catch breath regularly. The worst bits are from Manchester to Dover and Calais to the first mountains. After that it's ear to ear FUN! Well apart from the snow on the Furka pass!

None of the BEC boys fancied the 600 miles from Lake Bled to Antibes in the rain though

The longest I have heard of is 1000 miles in one go from Northern Sweden back to the UK!

[Edited on 19/1/15 by rdodger]

AndyW

posted on 19/1/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
There was a guy in a locost at Le Mans last year. Cant remember his name. Weather was not an issue, although not having any weather gear he did (like me) get a good tan!
TimC

posted on 19/1/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
This one has done a fair bit:
http://danstuff.info/striker.htm

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 19/1/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
As far as my money and imagination take me in all weathers and temperatures
Note You must wear ear protection as the db levels are high 105 db high

Ive done lots of runs to the south of england in one go with roof and without roof.
was down south london way in Feb last year.... My only problem is in heavy rain the standing water is worst than the slushy snow....
Oh an the fact i need an op on my spine to fix some historical damage that why its for sale

[Edited on 19-1-15 by mangogrooveworkshop]

gaz_gaz

posted on 19/1/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
In the summer I toured the alps.and french/Italian riviera over 10 days in a Fireblade MNR.
No weather gear. no windscreen no problems.

I think we covered in the region of 3400 miles
route went something like this

Calais
Poitiers
Grenoble
then the real fun
N85 Route Neopolian to Cannes
Monaco
San Remo
Stelvios Pass
Lake Annecy
Poitiers again
Calais

Awesome trip. Never once did I get annoyed by the high revs, vibrations, lack of comforts. GRP seats where fine
All our belongings for the trip in 1 bag strapped to the back. Would absolutely recommend a BEC road trip to anyone.
Car was the biggest attraction in Monte Carlo by a mile.

[Edited on 19/1/15 by gaz_gaz]

whitestu

posted on 19/1/15 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The roof/no roof is not an issue and can be solved by bike suit, warm wet suit liner and helmet.

Fine if it is dry. An absolute misery if it is peeing it down as you sit in traffic and the car slowly fill with water!

Maybe I'm too old.

snapper

posted on 19/1/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
When first built I had no screen, I added that and it made a difference, then I added side screens and that was a revalation much less wind noise and buffeting, no helmet needed once the screen was fitted, no ear plugs when the side screens fitted, when the roof was fitted it felt just like my old Spitfire Mk3
I do have a set of ComTacs that are sound defeating at a set level but have microphones so you hear enough.
For the very cold and wet I have an arctic warfare dew liner suit, looks like a cross between the Devils onesey and a duvet with arms but it's fully cold and wind proof

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bi22le

posted on 19/1/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have done 2 faultless trips to the ring (and laps) and back.

I have done a little write up below in my footer. It may give you some idea.

The second time I went I was on my tod. Far more comfortable having rearward vision as you know when to blat it and know that a policeman is not following you!

Good luck and DO IT!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

smart51

posted on 19/1/15 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
My BEC was fine for longer journeys. I had a very large silencer which kept the noise down. It was just as fast and sounded much the same as when the small can was on. There's no need to go deaf. I also had the clutch cable mounted as close to the pivot on the clutch pedal as it would go. It was no bother at all in traffic.
ludobenc

posted on 20/1/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
with my Fury r1 i did around 600 km: road to track, 1 hour of track day and back to home

with my indy r busa home-stelvio-home, 800 km

both in one day

http://www.youtube.com/user/LudoBenc

adithorp

posted on 20/1/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
In Italy so typing on phone...

500miles in a day loads of times. 5x 3000+ mile tours. All issue free. Ear plugs are your friend but 90% of the noise is wind buffeting. Water proofs for the wet (1/2 hood as well).

Roger in my defence, I wasn't in Bled and that trip was you bottling out as I heard it

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rdodger

posted on 20/1/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
In Italy so typing on phone...

500miles in a day loads of times. 5x 3000+ mile tours. All issue free. Ear plugs are your friend but 90% of the noise is wind buffeting. Water proofs for the wet (1/2 hood as well).

Roger in my defence, I wasn't in Bled and that trip was you bottling out as I heard it

We headed for the sun! The rest were miserable in the rain with the mozzies!

hobbsy

posted on 21/1/15 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I *think* I still hold the record for the most BEC miles in one day. A little over 750miles from La Grave in the South of France to Northampton.

Although I guess Jim may have come close when he had to leave early?

In any case I wouldn't recommend doing quite that many!

jimgiblett

posted on 6/2/15 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
7 Tour of the Alps so far. Number 8 in June.

France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Slovenia, Italy,. Spain and Portugal this year.

Dry sacks, waterproofs for the rain plenty of sunscreen for most of the time.

nah I didnt get close to your record Dave. Did my longest solo day of 550 miles half in the rain half in roasting sun from the far end of the Austrian Tyrols to Northern France.

That's all in a windscreened BEC but did 1000s of miles around France in my Aeroscreened R1 Phoenix prior to that

Brilliant times can't wait for the next adventure😃

Jim

[Edited on 6/2/15 by jimgiblett]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.