Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scrap yard sat nav ????
unijacko67

posted on 17/9/16 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
scrap yard sat nav ????

Is there any sat nav systems from a scrappy that would work in an old bus. I quite fancy building on into the dashboard, rear camera, Bluetooth for the hands free, cd, radio and a large screen.

What i'm really asking is can it be powered up in any vehicle or is it a load of hassle. Are any available without having to use a sat nav cd.

Just thought I'd ask before nipping to my local scrap yard, as they will be cheap and if I where to get a universal one from flebay they would still need to be plumbed in, also I quite like the idea of an external sat nav antenna.

Any thoughts ????

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 17/9/16 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
most sat nav systems will work on an internal power supply of 5volts. so should not be an issue moving between vehicles, but a cheep second hand 'smart phone' may be a better option. ('specially with gps)
Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/9/16 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
They are will more than likely be can-bus controlled and some will be security tied to the ecu.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slimy38

posted on 18/9/16 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
They are will more than likely be can-bus controlled and some will be security tied to the ecu.

That's what I was going to say. The older sat navs even used the wheel speed to give 'more accurate' results, but essentially any built in unit is going to be a huge faff to get into another vehicle.

You can get android based double DIN units that include satnav that are actually not too bad. Or as mentioned a suitably set up smart phone would do just as well. There are various options to get it to power up on ignition, and to switch straight to satnav. You also get the flexibility of the other things you're thinking of. CD may be the only one it doesn't support, but MP3 is just as good.

My Moto G is now my primary source of entertainment in the car, the actual head unit is basically an amplifier.

Benzine

posted on 18/9/16 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Wow never seen satnav units at my local scrapyards! Does your scrappy also give you a champagne flute and Ralph Lauren hi viz vest on the way in?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 18/9/16 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most are standard iso connectors with can bus interface for diagnostic and dashboard controls etc so I'd imagine if you went for one that wasn't fully integrated you'd be ok.
There's a few Chinese head units on eBay that are rated fairy highly. Rub android and have inputs for dab, reverse camera etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

SJ

posted on 18/9/16 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There's a few Chinese head units on eBay that are rated fairy highly. Rub android and have inputs for dab, reverse camera etc.

I bought one of these [win ce, not android] for my Mondeo Mk4 as it was a custom fit for the Mondy. Its a mixed bag if I'm honest. To start with it all worked great except the radio [you'd think that would be the easy bit] which has generally very poor reception.

The reversing camera, steering wheel controls, BT, DVD, SD, USB etc. are all perfect and the sound quality is great. The hand free for the phone is superb. The satnav also worked great but after just over a year it died and I can't get it to work at all.

The fact that the radio is rubbish is starting to annoy me as I listen to the radio quite a bit.

I'm tempted to give an Android unit a go but fear the radio will be equally crap.

Stu

[Edited on 18/9/16 by SJ]

bi22le

posted on 18/9/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds a silly question but are all of the stations at the frequencies they are meant to be?

When I was in this game over 10 years ago I had a lot of dealings with jap inports. The two things I had to always do was add a inline booster for the arial and a frequency rectifying device. The jap radio stations seemed to run off frequency and at a lower transmitted frequency. Quite often the taps would not go up to 108Mhz and therefore miss out uk stations.

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

I bought one of these [win ce, not android] for my Mondeo Mk4 as it was a custom fit for the Mondy. Its a mixed bag if I'm honest. To start with it all worked great except the radio [you'd think that would be the easy bit] which has generally very poor reception.

The reversing camera, steering wheel controls, BT, DVD, SD, USB etc. are all perfect and the sound quality is great. The hand free for the phone is superb. The satnav also worked great but after just over a year it died and I can't get it to work at all.

The fact that the radio is rubbish is starting to annoy me as I listen to the radio quite a bit.

I'm tempted to give an Android unit a go but fear the radio will be equally crap.

Stu

[Edited on 18/9/16 by SJ]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 18/9/16 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
To OP, I am still unsure of exaxtly what you want but I think you want an all singing TV dash mounted. If this is the case I would concentrate my search and money on two things. The navi part and the radio part.

If neither of these offer a TV screen don't did fuss. You can get a seperate screen (s) and just use the outputs.

An all in one may work but for what you want, if it goes wrong then the whole lot needs to be replaced.

I used to build incar multimedia systems and would use component modular units. A set like what you want may have.

A central audio system incorporating bluetooth for hands free.
A navi aystem
multiple screens
a AV IO switching box
a reversing camera.

I hope this helps.

Although I can not recommend products I could comment on build.

I hippie this helps.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

unijacko67

posted on 18/9/16 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the reply's, yea scrap yard option is out as they didn't have any and all the head units simply get unplugged so I wouldn't have a clue which way to wire it up should he get any in.

I've been using my phone for a few years for the sat nav, but just fancied something a bit better.

Are these any good, eBay Item

or these, not built in but might be ok, eBay Item

Cheers

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

Schrodinger

posted on 19/9/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought for those using a mobile phone for gps, I understand that it is illegal to even touch a mobile phone while in the drivers seat and the engine running, while I am also quite sure that you are unlikely to get pulled as there are fewer road police about. However, as there have been a couple of articles in the press recently about the reducing numbers of convictions of phone users this may change.

Keith
Aviemore

Slimy38

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Just a thought for those using a mobile phone for gps, I understand that it is illegal to even touch a mobile phone while in the drivers seat and the engine running, while I am also quite sure that you are unlikely to get pulled as there are fewer road police about. However, as there have been a couple of articles in the press recently about the reducing numbers of convictions of phone users this may change.

I was speaking to my wife about this on the weekend. I don't use my phone as a phone while driving, but I do use it for satnav and as an MP3 player. Both functions could also be done with specific devices. So if I do get pulled over for using phone GPS, could I also get pulled over for using a dedicated satnav?

I believe there is an offence around 'being distracted', but as you say there is now more of a target for phones.

britishtrident

posted on 19/9/16 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
CAN bus is usually for systems that require high speed communication only -- ie: powertrain related
In car entertaiment is usually on a its own bus the I-Bus which has a much lower bit rate.
Most modern cars have 3, 4 or perhaps even 5 data bus systems ---- nightmare stuff.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

scimjim

posted on 19/9/16 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger

I was speaking to my wife about this on the weekend. I don't use my phone as a phone while driving, but I do use it for satnav and as an MP3 player. Both functions could also be done with specific devices. So if I do get pulled over for using phone GPS, could I also get pulled over for using a dedicated satnav?

I believe there is an offence around 'being distracted', but as you say there is now more of a target for phones.

It's not illegal to touch a mobile phone exactly but CU80 is a "Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc."

coyoteboy

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I got a CU80 (rightly so) but at the time the officer showed me the wording of the law and it was, paraphrasing, "touching a mobile communications device". Specifically set apart from just getting distracted by the radio or eating an apple.

nick205

posted on 20/9/16 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking at a 2nd hand mobile phone and a sat nav app. Most will power quite happily from a cigarette lighter to USB power adapter. IMHO unless you're looking to spend a fair bit the idea of an integrated device seems a bit far fetched to me. The other benefit of a mobile phone is that you can easily remove it from the vehicle when parked.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.