Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corner weight system £40
Banana

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Corner weight system £40

In the true spirit of this site - how have people got on with individual scales to set corner weight?

Was thinking of getting four of these.
200 KG LCD Digital Electronic Personal Scale Glass Bathroom Weighing Body Scales

40inches

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I found that digital scales time out I used mechanical Doctor Scales from Argos, about £20 each
loggyboy

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Heavy Duty Industrial Digital Postal Scales Max Weight 200KG 440lb LCD Backlight

I suspect these would be safer.
Also if doing it really cheap buy 1 and do each corner at a time.

Mistral Motorsport

Nickp

posted on 6/3/17 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana
In the true spirit of this site - how have people got on with individual scales to set corner weight?

Was thinking of getting four of these.
200 KG LCD Digital Electronic Personal Scale Glass Bathroom Weighing Body Scales

I don't think that one will be any good as it seems to have a raised area for between your feet. You want a nice flat surface. I got this one for the pricely sum of £14.99 and it works a treat - Used Ozeri Rev Digital Bath Scale with Electro-Mechanical Dial up to 200kg, Gr8
I've only used it to weigh the car a corner at a time and not made adjustments as yet but it seems just fine.

matt5964

posted on 6/3/17 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Heavy Duty Industrial Digital Postal Scales Max Weight 200KG 440lb LCD Backlight

I might be wrong but surely if you are weighing one corner at a time you will be transfusing weight to the other wheels as you will have raised one corner up shifting the weight giving an in accurate reading
(Unless you raise each of the other wheels up to exactly the same height, in which case you may as well get 3 additional scales)

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

Nickp

posted on 6/3/17 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:

I might be wrong but surely if you are weighing one corner at a time you will be transfusing weight to the other wheels as you will have raised one corner up shifting the weight giving an in accurate reading
(Unless you raise each of the other wheels up to exactly the same height, in which case you may as well get 3 additional scales)

Just use 3 blocks of the same height as the scales and do one wheel at a time

loggyboy

posted on 6/3/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964

Just use 3 blocks of the same height as the scales and do one wheel at a time

Exactly this. Yes you could buy 4 but thats hardly Locost!

[Edited on 6-3-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

posted on 6/3/17 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
And 1 scale and 3 blocks will be dead accurate

where as 4 scales could give 4 different readings.

(Did mine with the One Scale Method)

v8kid

posted on 6/3/17 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
And 1 scale and 3 blocks will be dead accurate

where as 4 scales could give 4 different readings.

(Did mine with the One Scale Method)

Only as dead accurate as the leveling process - if you are 1mm off level with 500lbin wheel rate you will be 20lb out! ( circa 10-20%) Admittedly that's a very stiff setup but you get the drift.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 6/3/17 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I bought two sets of really cheap mechanical scales - £4 each I think, and used one under each wheel. They went right off the scale but I marked them with pen and checked on one side and they read about the same, so then just a question of adjusting the shocks until the reading were the same on each corner.

Probably not very accurate but close enough for my purposes.

Oddified

posted on 6/3/17 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I bought the 300kg version a couple of months ago (otherwise identical), and with 3 blocks of wood, works very well. A bit of a faff moving them round several times but give repeatable results and with a bit of playing with excel i've got all the % differences, side to side, front to back, overall weight and even did unsprung weights to do some spring rate calculations. Cheap as chips to get some reasonable numbers to work with.

Ian

Banana

posted on 7/3/17 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
When adjusting each corner, don't you need coilovers with an adjustable perch at both ends of the springs?
As far as i can tell, Protech only have a lower one. Won't this just mess the ride height up when balancing the weight?

Bluemoon

posted on 7/3/17 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
When adjusting each corner, don't you need coilovers with an adjustable perch at both ends of the springs?
As far as i can tell, Protech only have a lower one. Won't this just mess the ride height up when balancing the weight?

No only need one "perch" adjustable. The process is iterative, there is an order that helps, something like add a turn to one coil over and remove a turn form the opposite coil over.

The iterative nature of this means having 4 scales would be quicker in principle to adjust but at x4 the price...

Dan

[Edited on 8/3/17 by Bluemoon]

loggyboy

posted on 8/3/17 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Won't this just mess the ride height up when balancing the weight?

The two are directly related - its the height of the springs that force more weight on to that corner, and its about balancing that weight not moving it, thats not physically possible.

Mistral Motorsport

v8kid

posted on 8/3/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

No only need one "perch" adjustable. The process is iterative, there is an order that helps, something like add a turn to one coil over and remove a turn form the opposite coil over.

The iterative nature of this means having 4 scales would be quicker in principle to adjust but at x4 the price...

Dan

[Edited on 8/3/17 by Bluemoon]

You can use packers above the spring if you find the ride heights are too compromised but as above it is an iterative process and generally if you need packers you have something else far wrong

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Camber Dave

posted on 8/3/17 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
"When adjusting each corner, don't you need coilovers with an adjustable perch at both ends of the springs?
As far as i can tell, Protech only have a lower one. Won't this just mess the ride height up when balancing the weight?"

It is possible, and indeed the target to get the front ride heights within 1 mm, AND the corner weights to within 1% of each other
This ensures that the car reacts to the steering and weight transfer the same whether turning left or right.

The fine tuning adjustments are carried out at the rear.
As mentioned above the weight moves diagonally across the car BUT less 'fiercely' than adjustments at the front.
With an an offset driver, this usually means that the Right Rear wheel caries extra weight, and unladen, has a slightly higher ride height.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.