Board logo

Air tool oil
David Jenkins - 1/10/04 at 07:42 AM

I now have a number of air tools, all of which are fed air through a filter and oiler. Although I've set the oiler at its very minimum setting (without actually stopping the drip feed) I'm still getting oil everywhere at the tool end (Oooer missus! ). I can cope with a little bit of oil spray - it's unavoidable - but not so much that it's dripping everywhere!

What should I expect?

cheers,

David

[Edited on 1/10/04 by David Jenkins]

Mix - 1/10/04 at 07:47 AM

Never actually used an oiler, just put a couple of drops into the air inlet before and after use. A quick blast gets rid of the excess.

Mick

Peteff - 1/10/04 at 08:56 AM

I don't use an oiler because I don't want oil in my airline. I use the same one for everything these days.

splitrivet - 1/10/04 at 09:58 AM

Same here, oil is easy to get into an air system but nigh on impossible to get out.
Cheers,
Bob

David Jenkins - 1/10/04 at 11:43 AM

I have two air outlets on my compressor - I use one for air-tool work (oily) and the other for spraying, tyre inflation, blowgun, etc. (dry), with different hoses for each.

I think that I'll abandon the oiler - it also has a regulator between the filter and the oiler, and it doesn't seem to like working behind the compressor's regulator... it keeps going over the target pressure (or it's a cr*p regulator!). I'll try and keep the filter, though.

cheers,

David

Mark Allanson - 1/10/04 at 07:29 PM

I use a bit of 3 in 1 every time I remember, I have tools made in the '60's which are still as good as the day they were made