2- 30 years experience

austin man - 26/10/10 at 08:18 PM

we are talking welding here I hope

RazMan - 26/10/10 at 08:18 PM

That's a bit personal aint it?

Benzine - 26/10/10 at 08:21 PM

was a puller, now a pusher

Danozeman - 26/10/10 at 08:23 PM

Im a pusher and I like to see little lumps on the rear.

indykid - 26/10/10 at 08:25 PM

i'm a pusher primarily and it depends if i can see the back or not. if not, i turn it up, hit and hope

RichardK - 26/10/10 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
was a puller, now a pusher

X2

Cheers

Rich

LBMEFM - 26/10/10 at 08:35 PM

Wadders- why doesn't your girlie move anymore

craig1410 - 26/10/10 at 08:45 PM

I tend to push weld these days although I used to pull when I first started. I feel that pushing gives me better visibility of the weld pool and I understand you tend to get better penetration.

As someone else stated above, I look for signs of the weld dripping through the other side of the piece. If I can't see the other side then I just judge from the shape of the weld on the top side. With experience, you can tell if it is sitting on the surface or if it is emerging through the surface. You can also tell from the build up of weld pool relative to wire speed. If the weld pool builds up too quickly compared to the wire speed it feels like you are getting pushed away from the surface but if the penetration is good then the wire will be absorbed without s much build up. Not sure if I'm explaining that very well but it makes sense to me... ;-)

If in doubt then practice on scrap metal and saw it in half to check penetration.

craig1410 - 26/10/10 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM

+1 She was the highlight of my LB forum visits!

Wadders - 26/10/10 at 09:04 PM

Not sure what happened to her

Originally posted by LBMEFM

matt_claydon - 26/10/10 at 09:08 PM

It's because the image is to tall, and the new auto-resizer can't cope with animations.

resized avatar
resized avatar

keith777 - 26/10/10 at 09:13 PM

Love it !!

loggyboy - 26/10/10 at 09:51 PM

which ever creates the nicest weld on the job at hand. I refuse to conform that one is always better than the other.

Volvorsport - 26/10/10 at 10:38 PM

push .

i like a bit of spray transfer aswell.

Peteff - 26/10/10 at 11:16 PM

You don't get proper gas coverage pulling, and I've heard it can also affect your eyesight

SeaBass - 27/10/10 at 06:50 AM

Used to pull, now push with MIG. Mainly due to pushing with TIG to get decent heat into the workpiece.

MakeEverything - 27/10/10 at 07:50 AM

I do both very quickly, depending on how good looking she is....

nick205 - 27/10/10 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
It's because the image is to tall, and the new auto-resizer can't cope with animations.

resized avatar
resized avatar

Good work Matt

As far as I'm concerned the rest of this thread is now redundant

donny - 27/10/10 at 04:25 PM

Completely distracted by that ^^^ now! My posting in the alternative universe thread...my SVQ training... was always to push for better penetration. Pulling is more akin to welding art than welding. Do one test piece of each, cut them and see how good they look.

Back to the dancing girl! Arrr~!

NS Dev - 28/10/10 at 07:15 AM

completely distracted too, for got about that wadders!

As for push/pull, do both, with both tig and mig!

Big stuff, heavy work, high power, always push.

Thin stuff, low power, pull.

tig, bit of both, pushing looks neater, pulling sometimes easier and probably better penetration, never been sure with tig though, kinda debatable what the difference is too!

mangogrooveworkshop - 28/10/10 at 06:27 PM

I have had my whole welding technique turned on its head.
Dave and I are doing a welding course to get the tig up and running. The course also has mig so we are taking the time to learn the correct ways to achieve good welds and avoid the pitfalls.

Spray transfer is just fab....
We have been doing the roots and caps as well as spray transfer...
With the new style my welds are really stacking the dimes in a very controlled and repeatable way. Would suggest anyone who has never welded before get a course as you get to use their gas and machines to learn on.

907 - 29/10/10 at 02:42 AM

Steady on Mango'

You'll be buying a copy of "A C Davies" next.

Enjoy your course. Knowledge lasts a life time.

Cheers
Paul G

SeaBass - 31/10/10 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 907

Check - came from a school library clearout...

mangogrooveworkshop - 31/10/10 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Check - came from a school library clearout...

PDF copy please

mangogrooveworkshop - 31/10/10 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
Steady on Mango'

Enjoy your course. Knowledge lasts a life time.

Cheers
Paul G

Paul its cheaper to learn on their gas as well as having terry on hand to correct the mistakes as you go. The correction of poor technique has really brought my welding standard to something Im quite proud of for neatness and repeatability.

Its the tig that we stashed in the store that we want to break out and start using again.
Ive been handing out the ali welding to various people we know and sometimes we get stuck cause we need it done quickly. Got the machine just have to skill up to use it.

907 - 1/11/10 at 12:25 AM

Hi Mango'

On the subject of the book, just looked it up on Amazon.

The Science and Practice of Welding. A C Davis. 4 used from £1.47

Mine was £4/19/11

As for the TIG, it's not earning money stuck under a tarp at the back of the workshop is it.

I have a mate, runs a "one man band" car workshop who allocates an hour a day to work on his old cars.
Works on customers stuff till 5.30pm, stops till 6.30 to do his own. It works for him.

My advice is take a couple of hours a week, an evening or a Sunday morning and just practice with the TIG.
If you can get help and advice from your course instructor then so much the better.
You know it will pay dividends in the end.

All the best,
Paul G

NS Dev - 2/11/10 at 09:16 PM

practise makes a huge difference. its amazing how you go from being clumsy and non-flowing with the tig to it feeling like an arm extension. I never thought it would get like that, but now it has.

earning money....what's that lol