Board logo

making a small extension spring
02GF74 - 22/11/16 at 06:18 PM

Anybody made a small extension spring?

Its for a bicycle derailleur and not sold as spare.

Either from a length of spring wire or modifying an existing spring.

Info needed about tempering to make the wire springy and if modifying one, how to make it unspringy so it can be reshaped.

theconrodkid - 22/11/16 at 06:57 PM

saw a video on you tube about making springs,fella had a guitar string,wound it round some bar and heated it in an oven,maybe worth a look ?.

britishtrident - 22/11/16 at 06:59 PM

Buy an assortment box the springs usually start from about 4.5mm dia upwards. ebay should have some even Maplin sell them

nick205 - 23/11/16 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Buy an assortment box the springs usually start from about 4.5mm dia upwards. ebay should have some even Maplin sell them

That would be my choice - there's lots out there.

The other option is to speak to your local bike shop and see if they have something to hand. My LBS is excellent and very helpful in this respect.

Having recently messed about with extension (pulling) springs please be careful. There is potential for hurting yourself and getting fingers stuck.

nick205 - 23/11/16 at 11:13 AM

One other option is to visit your local dump. Mine usually has an assortment of old bikes with derailleurs. You might be able to pilfer a spring from one.

nick205 - 23/11/16 at 11:14 AM

RS Components...

http://uk.rs-onl ine.com/web/c/enclosures-storage-material-handling/door-hardware/extension-springs/?searchTerm=extensions+spring