Board logo

Which sander for bodywork?
Badger_McLetcher - 8/12/16 at 07:33 PM

So as I'm nearing the point of the dreaded bodywork, I'm looking at getting myself a sander. Since I don't have a compressor at the moment it'll have to be electric, and I'm looking at either of these two; opinions would be appreciated!

Sealey DAS149 6" Random Orbital Dual Action Sander 150mm 600W / 230V NEW

Makita BO5030/2 - RANDOM ORBIT SANDER 5" 240V

Cheers,
Ben

jacko - 8/12/16 at 08:17 PM

Both good makes what are he vibration figures
where i work you can only use sanders for 2 hours in 8 hours
jacko

benchmark51 - 8/12/16 at 10:04 PM

I've had a little power pro sander called a sandcritter for ages and it works great. Hook and loop triangular 'disc' pads get into small places really well. I've also used 1/4 sheet palm sanders to good effect and they are not megabucks either.

Talon Motorsport - 8/12/16 at 10:13 PM

If you are not lucky enough to have hands like a gorilla then I would avoid the palm Makita as I find a slight lack of control with a single small hand, where as the Sealey is useful having two hand holds and I think an adjustable front handle?
Little tip remove the 1.5m power cable and replace it with 4-5m cable that way you don't bring the twin gang extension lead up to meet the sides of the body work.

40inches - 8/12/16 at 11:05 PM

I'm going for this one ScrewFix. Many very good trade reviews, and cheap enough to be disposable?

rgrs - 9/12/16 at 03:37 PM

Out of the two i would definitely got for the Sealy,
1 Its a two handed unit giving better control
2 Its variable speed
3 The palm sander will also try to sand your palm ! ( i managed blisters with mine in a very short period)

The only downside is it doesn't appear to have dust extraction

[Edited on 9/12/2016 by rgrs]

Badger_McLetcher - 12/12/16 at 06:06 PM

Cheers for the advice guys, went for the Sealey in the end. Will just gaffer tape the vacuum nozzle alongside it for extraction