Board logo

Alternatives to Dremels
SteveWallace - 9/9/17 at 05:54 PM

My fourth Dremel has just died on me. They always seem to last until just after the guarantee has expired and then they just stop working. I was fortunate with the last one since it failed a year less a day after I bought it so B&Q replaced it.

Is there a better alternative to Dremels as I am getting a bit sick of replacing them every year and a bit.

daviep - 9/9/17 at 06:27 PM

Depends what you use it for?

For metal work with a carbide burr then a proper die grinder, air or electric, are in a different league compared to a Dremmel or any of its clones. Makita £83 be warned proper die grinders are powerful, you cannot mess about one handed or an stuff that isn't clamped properly or you will hurt yourself.

Cheers
Davie

SteveWallace - 11/9/17 at 10:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. I took my Dremel apart this morning so see if I could find the problem and it turned out that one of the wires from the stator had snapped so it turned out to be a quite easy fix.

Inspired by that, I took my other two dead ones apart, but it would seem that its the variable speed control switches that are at fault with them so they are beyond me to fix. I'm still going to get something better when I can no longer make a working one out of the three that I have.

I am starting to like Dremels again though since I noticed that they are made in Mexico and therefore one in the eye for Trump

loggyboy - 11/9/17 at 11:15 AM

Whoooa De ja vu

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=210153

SteveWallace - 11/9/17 at 01:00 PM

Ok, so maybe I should have done a search before starting a new thread. If something is worth saying, its worth saying twice, or measure once and cut twice - something like that anyway!