Board logo

Bedford CF1 Engine Transplant - suggestions
TimC - 21/11/15 at 10:51 AM

Long story short:
We have (at work) a fairly swanky-looking ex-Ice Cream van that we use for promotional activity and events.

The current Perkins diesel is sh**ed so we need to decide what to do.

I'm pretty anti-diesel in this case as the cabin is so poorly insulated that the roar of diesel means I'll need to send drivers our with ear defenders which isn't very safe - or cool.

The best that the garage have come up with thus far is buying another CF with the 2.3 petrol. There's one on eBay which has done 85k pulling a heavy motor home body. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I was initially thinking Zetec and have since wondered about 8v Vauxhall. Is there anything that would mate to the 4-speed dogleg ZF?

It won't do mega miles but the odd trip to London or Nottingham from Bristol is desirable. Thoughts welcome.

scutter - 21/11/15 at 10:56 AM

How about Ford 2.9 V6 Engine 2.9 ford lump?

ATB Dan.

britishtrident - 21/11/15 at 11:10 AM

The Vaxhall Slant 4 SOHC 2.3 was a rough running old load of unreliable .... that gobbled fuel at an alarming rate.

ISTR the 4 speed used a Vauxhall gearbox.

The Opel Blitz & CF II used Opel Asconca engines

Nickp - 21/11/15 at 11:13 AM

Or what about a complete V6 donor with a family link?

VAUXHALL OMEGA ESTATE 2.5 V6 CDX 2000 ( NEW INFO )

Or if the ice cream is melting and you need to get there faster

Vauxhall Omega 3.0 Litre MV6 X Reg 2000

[Edited on 21/11/15 by Nickp]

minibull - 21/11/15 at 11:26 AM

Lotus twincam ? The later Elite,Esprit version. That was based on the Vauxhall engine. Getting old now and always a bit delicate but turbo version should make for a pretty fast ice cream van

Nickp - 21/11/15 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by minibull
Lotus twincam ? The later Elite,Esprit version. That was based on the Vauxhall engine. Getting old now and always a bit delicate but turbo version should make for a pretty fast ice cream van

Could potentially bolt up to the existing box but it won't be a cheap option

gremlin1234 - 21/11/15 at 12:21 PM

if it ever goes to London, ensure it meets the emissions regulations, virtually all within the m25 is a LEZ low emissions zone. (or pay the very high daily rate!)

(reason enough to make it petrol! )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_low_emission_zone

hizzi - 21/11/15 at 12:35 PM

petrol pinto engine and box out of a transit would be a shout. or diesel out transit late ldv

coozer - 21/11/15 at 12:50 PM

Rover V8 sounds like a good idea for a low mileage tug.

rusty nuts - 21/11/15 at 02:06 PM

The Rover v8 was a fairly common figment but these days there are smaller and better v8s ,, how about a Lexus lump mated to a six speed box? 6th gear might come in handy as the diff ratio is likely to be very low.

blakep82 - 21/11/15 at 03:17 PM

Vauxhall 2 litre ecotec might do it?
X20xev. Used in late 90s Astras, vectras, omegas ect

Andi - 21/11/15 at 06:08 PM

I bought an old CF before.
It had a vauxhall magnum 2.3 in it. Did not do very much to the gallon and had a miniature gear lever right near the back of the drivers seat.
Used it to get the band around the country in and so has many fine memories for me.

cliftyhanger - 21/11/15 at 06:29 PM

Just had a friend round who used to drag race a CF. Had a tuned Daimler V8 in it, used to keep up with a 911 up to 60, so should be adequate......

Though sourcing a daimler V8 may be tricky.

I guess simple is good, so a zetec mated to a transit type mt75??

HowardB - 21/11/15 at 07:03 PM

What about the midengine transit version that they had on TG.. jag engine?

spaximus - 22/11/15 at 10:41 AM

If it is being used as a commercial vehicle, ie loaded, then the 2.0 petrol diesel or petrol from a Transit is the way to go. Easy conversion.
Many of those suggested will work badly as a loaded vehicle needs a heavy commercial type flywheel otherwise they tend to bog a little pulling away.
That's why the Rover V8 has been used before and works as the two ton car it normally pulls also has a heavy flywheel.
The Rover is much harder to fit but does sound very good.