Board logo

Good guy Jackie Stewart
David Jenkins - 13/4/17 at 01:45 PM

My daughter's father-in-law Neil Davis died a couple of weeks ago, and the funeral was yesterday. Over the past few days I've found out what sort of person Neil was - he was the chief mechanic for the Tyrrell F1 team when Jackie Stewart was starting out together with Jody Scheckter.

Apparently, at the funeral, Jackie Stewart stood up and said that he owed his first few championships to Neil, and gave an excellent eulogy. What a gentleman, after all these years...

BRDC notice

[Edited on 13/4/17 by David Jenkins]

slingshot2000 - 13/4/17 at 02:01 PM

I met Jackie a few years ago, a true Gent.

britishtrident - 13/4/17 at 03:37 PM

Jackie is a great guy genuine and very wise with regard to F1 , strangely individuals on the internet who claim to be F1 fans seem hate him with a vengence, Nicki Lauda who I also have tremendous respect for seems to draw the same despicable reaction for no-reason.

James - 13/4/17 at 04:22 PM

Greetings Folks! Long time no post!

David,

Any idea if your Father-in-law knew Neil Trundle?

By the look of it they both worked at Tyrrell at the same time. Did Neil Davis work on the P34 (6-wheeler)?

Cheers,
James

David Jenkins - 13/4/17 at 04:27 PM

Unsure - and it's not a good time to ask just now, for obvious reasons - too soon... I might ask when we go over to visit my daughter and her family in a few months time (they live in Sydney). I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was involved with the six-wheeler, as long as it was before BAR took over Tyrrell (that's when Neil left the company as he wasn't impressed with BAR).

David Jenkins - 13/4/17 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Jackie is a great guy genuine and very wise with regard to F1 , strangely individuals on the internet who claim to be F1 fans seem hate him with a vengence, Nicki Lauda who I also have tremendous respect for seems to draw the same despicable reaction for no-reason.

Bernie Ecclestone hated him because he told the truth about F1 - which is one reason for liking Jackie a lot!