Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Hotwire Foam Cutter Video
sgraber

posted on 10/6/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Hotwire Foam Cutter Video

Hi guys, I had pretty good success with my DIY foam cutter. So I made a nasty quick video of it for those that may want to try it.

If you need to cut foam, THIS is the way to go. Remember that some foams will produce very toxic fumes. You must either wear an appropriate respirator or verify that your particular foam is safe. Mine is.

Click here to watch the video - 5.2Megs WM9 320x240 400Kbs

Enjoy! (PS- This video is being served off of a new Edge Network Streaming Media Service! - very cool stuff indeed as it pushes the video out to the video server nearest your location before streaming it.)

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/6/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Steve - that's a great bit of video! Very helpful and informative for those facing this depth of build.

Car is looking and taking shape nicely.

ATB <Steve>

sgraber

posted on 10/6/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it explains it effectively. Thanks.

How did the video download for you? Quickly? Curious to know how it delivers across the pond.

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/6/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
buffered for approx 40 seconds then played straight through fine. Streaming was way in advance of playback - no probs!

DavidM

posted on 10/6/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Took about 4 secs to start on a 1 mb Broadband connection. Nice motor!
sgraber

posted on 10/6/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome!

Graber

Hellfire

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Steve - I was also downloading "something" at 53kbps! So with hindsight it was very fast!

pbura

posted on 11/6/04 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
It's almost eerie watching the car emerge in the flesh, so to speak

Great choice of materials and methods, Steve. Lots of time on the computer, but it's paying off now!

I wonder if anyone will be inspired to body their Locost chassis (a la the Ginetta)?

Pete

Pete

ned

posted on 11/6/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
looking good steve, the video started nearly instantly on my 100mb connection..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

sgraber

posted on 11/6/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
It's almost eerie watching the car emerge in the flesh, so to speak

Great choice of materials and methods, Steve. Lots of time on the computer, but it's paying off now!

I wonder if anyone will be inspired to body their Locost chassis (a la the Ginetta)?

Pete

Yes Pete, It's very wierd! I find myself doing a kooky little dance around the front of the car (like a chicken on dope) as I try to see and evaluate the shapes for "correctness". I hope nopbody videotapes that!

But the foam cuts amazingly easily and is extremely easy to adhere between the ribs. It's really fast work because of the time I spent in front of the computer. (Hope I don't eat those words later...)

Steve Graber

Alan B

posted on 11/6/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hey....good stuff there bud...

Works well, looks great.......

Although I must admit I did enjoy sweeping up the 10 million tiny crumbs that I created cutting mine with a hacksaw blade....yeah right..

greggors84

posted on 12/6/04 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
Like a hot knife through butter!

Car looks amazing, wish i had the time paitence and money!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Alan B

posted on 12/6/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Like a hot knife through butter!

Car looks amazing, wish i had the time paitence and money!

You have the money...trust me...

Steve is in my league of cheapskateness...

And he'll admit it...

Yes, time and patience helps, but little cash is required....

[Edited on 12/6/04 by Alan B]

greggors84

posted on 12/6/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I did think that when i post it, but then i thought the amount of times i would go wrong, i would waste so much material. I must say you two have inspired me to one day design and build my own car. Doesnt look that hard!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Alan B

posted on 12/6/04 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
........ I must say you two have inspired me to one day design and build my own car. Doesnt look that hard!

Thx.
Really it's not that hard....

More work, more decisions to make without anyone to ask....but not harder work or harder decisions...

Steve?

sgraber

posted on 12/6/04 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This has gotten quite off topic and is worth a topic all of it's own. But you started it! SO I will play along.

Of course a complete build will take longer than a kit. The truth is that since you are building everything, you actually will save money, but not time. This is because you are not paying for someone elses mortgage, insurance, groceries, yada yada... with your hard earned cash. That's what happens when you buy pre-built.

IMHO - They key to success is to segmentize the project into chunks of tasks that you can emotionally handle.
You also have to set milestones so that you can reach them and be proud of yourself. Notice that I had to build a running car before I even started thinking about the body. It's like two completely seperate project.

Trust me though, the only thing I have going for myself over many people (Not anyone on this list though), is a pit-bull like tendency to not drop anything that I am working on. For me, failure is NOT an option. And I literally have a budget of about $50 month. I have spent less than $1,200 completely on my project so far. And expect to have a street legal car completed for under $2,000.

Steve

Steve Graber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.