Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welding course in surrey?
AdamR

posted on 6/7/04 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
welding course in surrey?

Anyone know of where to find one?

Just after a one day (or less) familiarisation with a MIG before I start building my chassis.

Alternatively if there are any local builders who are handy with a MIG and would be willing to give me some pointers - they would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

[Edited on 6/7/04 by AdamR]

[Edited on 6/7/04 by AdamR]

JoelP

posted on 6/7/04 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
James is a guildford lad, plus i think he's done a course! he's away kicking ass at the minute though...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

GasGasGas

posted on 6/7/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
In the dim and distant past, Merton college at Morden did evening classes on all forms of welding, mig, arc and gas and was a fairly informal setup, so its easy to learn at your own pace.
Try calling them, they might still do classes.

simonH

posted on 6/7/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Brooklands

brooklands colledge do a welding course £100 you get to choose which equippment and you get a city and guilds crtificate if you are good. i did the MIG course very good. they also offer TIG and Gas. i had a couple of lesons left after the certificate so they showed me through the use of gas. very helpfull and well informed staff

www.brooklands.ac.uk

Chris_R

posted on 6/7/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's not Surrey, but I did a course at Gateshead College. It was free and I found out about it on their web site. Check the local colleges as there must be something available that's subsidised. Anyhow, hope you finding something.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 6/7/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonH
brooklands colledge do a welding course £100 (snip)

That looks like just what I'm after Simon, cheers. As a bonus it's not too far off my way home from work. 25 hours tuition for £100 - bargain.

On the other hand, if I coud find something similar in Guildford, that'd be even better... didn't realise it was common for colleges to do this sort of thing.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/7/04 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look around for agricultural colleges as well - they often do courses.

Mind you, there may not be many of them in Surrey!

rgds,

David

scutter

posted on 7/7/04 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Try this LINK. It seems to list most courses in southern England.

Hope it helps Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 7/7/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Brooklands is where James did his course. He's now city & guilds certified! James and I both have migs, though mine is about 20 miles away with the car.

I havent' had any tuition with mig. I personally don't think its required. Have a read on the web or buy a book. The essential part of good welding imho is setting the welder up correctly, once you have voltage and wire speed set accordingly for the material thickness you're using it's a piece fo cake.

I'm hoping to be working onmy car this saturday if you want to follow me down towards petworth and have a go!!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

AdamR

posted on 7/7/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
I'm hoping to be working onmy car this saturday if you want to follow me down towards petworth and have a go!!

Many thanks for the offer Ned - I've sent you a U2U.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.