Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Class - Bracknell
stevebubs

posted on 5/1/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Welding Class - Bracknell

Last Term, Bracknell College ran a welding class entitled something like "Sheet Metal Work for Car Restoration".

It ran for 2 hours on a Thursday night from 7pm -9pm and cost somewhere in the region of £130 for the term.

During the course, access was provided to:
Very knowledgeable and patient tutor
Car Mechanics Bay (normally room for about 3 cars, 1 or 2 of which may be able to fit onto the ramps)
Welders (MIG, Gas)
Metalworking equipment (sheet metal cutters, band saws etc)
Lathes & Milling machines in the machine room.

They are contemplating running the course again, but need at least 10 people to make it viable. I think the max. is about 12 or so.

The first day proposed is tomorrow (short notice I know) and they have suggested that people turn up at 7pm. If there are enough people then they will run the course.

Alan_Thomas

posted on 5/1/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I attended this course about 4 years ago at Bracknell. Cannot say if it was the same tutor. I was a little disappointed as I enrolled to learn better sheet metal working skills and learn to MIG weld thin sheet.
The course became a basic welding course which was disappointing as I have been gas welding for over 20 years. In fact I became the 'assistant instructor' teaching my fellow students to gas weld.
The redeeming feature was access to all the guilotines, benders etc and I took the opportunity to reskin a couple of doors.
On balance it was worth the money and I still have a mate who I met thru the course and we help each other in our restoration projects. He has a lathe and mill I have the welding and blast cabinet.

- Good luck in getting the course running - Alan

stevebubs

posted on 5/1/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, that is what I was expecting. However I think they have listened to comments - last term the first 2-3 lessons were basic gas / mig welding and then it was a case of "OK Chaps. Now what do you want to do / learn?" At that point, people moved in different directions.

1 of us brought their fury in to replace the suspension brackets

Another brought in the bobtail rangerover to take out the rusty bits

A few more were locosters learning to weld their chassis

Another was using the course to fab bits for his classic v8 conversion (sump, x-member etc)

I shortened my sump and respaced my Throttle Bodies

Definitely worth the money just for access to all the equipment.

(Probably was the same tutor, BTW - he's been there 20 years I think)

Dusty

posted on 5/1/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Same sort of thing runs in Plymouth (C.F.E.). Run by enthusiast tutor, more of a car club with access to full garage and workshop facilities. But they sold the paint booth a year ago. But they are getting a new one next year. We have to keep taking exams to provide sucess figures to justify the course. I have eleven City and Guilds certs on the wall and an envelope with more in that I can't be bothered to put up cos the jokes gone flat. Tough questions in the car valet one like cleaning the paintwork, would you use a. Hammer b. Screw driver c. Sponge
Keeps some Educational bean counter happy. Same thing goes on in most towns and cities if you look for it.

tom_loughlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
to me, that sounds well worth a visit. if there is one running in the south west, near bristol, im pretty sure id be up for it - if only for the resources!
Tom

barrie sharp

posted on 6/1/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Steve have you tryed Reading tech on the london road they used to run evening courses i did a classic restoration course it was good and lots of tools to play with.

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

ned

posted on 6/1/05 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
james has and i believe adamr is attending a course at brooklands college weybridge, that's evenings too i think.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 6/1/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
code:
Steve have you tryed Reading tech on the london road they used to run evening courses i did a classic restoration course it was good and lots of tools to play with

did look at Reading college first (it's closer to work) but the only one they did was a marine welding course... Did the Bracknell course in September and am hoping they can get enough to run it again this term.

barrie sharp

posted on 6/1/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thats fine just stand in a swimming pool while you weld!(dont try this at home children)

Readings gone down hill since i left they used to have a good selection

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

AdamR

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
james has and i believe adamr is attending a course at brooklands college weybridge, that's evenings too i think.

Ned.

Yep - although I have graduated with my City & Guilds now!

Would definitely recommend. The guys that run it are very knowledgable and enthusiastic. It is not restricted to welding either - I think James is going back to fabricate his bodywork.

Brooklands College are currently running the course on 2 or 3 nights a week, and I think the new term starts in a couple of weeks.

Best thing is that 10 x 3 hour sessions only cost roughly £70, which is amazing value.

James

posted on 11/1/05 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
Would definitely recommend. The guys that run it are very knowledgable and enthusiastic. It is not restricted to welding either - I think James is going back to fabricate his bodywork.

Brooklands College are currently running the course on 2 or 3 nights a week, and I think the new term starts in a couple of weeks.

Best thing is that 10 x 3 hour sessions only cost roughly £70, which is amazing value.

Adam's right- you can now choose to do the course Mon, Tue or Thursday!

£70!!! Think yourself lucky! In my day it was £125, one day a week and we kept being told it was closing through lack of use!

Clearly my recomendation is enough to make anything popular!

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.