Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build tables
Paul_Arion

posted on 14/4/17 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Build tables

Morning all

With 4 weeks to go until kit collection day, I've been thinking about what to do about a build table or stands for the chassis to try and ease the build as much as possible. Mounded polypropylen saw horses were suggested with a suitable weight capacity, but I've been considering making a wooden frame up, mounting it on 4 casters and topping it off with a piece of OBD board. I've also considered 24" high chassis stands, as well as 7" chassis stands mounted on blocks of wood which would remain handy in the future.

So what has everyone done? I want to make sure the car is secure when building so not keen on 4 axle stands which I have done before

Pics and your ideas most welcome

Thanks
Paul

James

posted on 14/4/17 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
I did mine on axle stands.

However, if I was doing it again I'd consider a couple of suitably adapted engine stands- then you'd be able to turn the chassis easily AND move it around on the castors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Paul_Arion

posted on 14/4/17 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I do really like the idea of being moveable - I have a pitched roof on the garage with masses of storage space up the - but the hatch is fairly central to the ceiling. I'll have a look at that idea but not sure I would benefit too much as the car will have a fully flat floor which goes on very early in the build. Love the idea though as engine stands are pretty affordable these days so buying 2 to adapt would only be £70ish

[Edited on 14/4/17 by Paul_Arion]

furryeggs

posted on 14/4/17 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have 2 build tresels that are hieght adjustable which are now surplus to requirments.
Toprivetguns

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
This would be a good investment. Pretty sure you'd get your money back after the build.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=208167

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Paul_Arion

posted on 15/4/17 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
I have 2 build tresels that are hieght adjustable which are now surplus to requirments.

Morning
Do you have any details of these at all please? Are you going to Stoneleigh - I'm about 85 miles from you at present

furryeggs

posted on 15/4/17 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not the best picture but these are them. I'll be at stoneliegh on the Sunday (£25)

[img][/img]

Paul_Arion

posted on 16/4/17 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer Furryeggs but I've been offered some timber / casters locally to construct myself a build table. Got 6x 150kg casters, 2x 6ftx3"x3" posts to make legs, so just need to get some suitable timber to construct a frame then a sheet of OSB board for the top (which will eventually be used as the base for my bike shed). Should make life nice n easy with it being movable (and very locost unlike the car 😉 )

I'll po

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.