Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternatives to Dremels
SteveWallace

posted on 9/9/17 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatives to Dremels

My fourth Dremel has just died on me. They always seem to last until just after the guarantee has expired and then they just stop working. I was fortunate with the last one since it failed a year less a day after I bought it so B&Q replaced it.

Is there a better alternative to Dremels as I am getting a bit sick of replacing them every year and a bit.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

daviep

posted on 9/9/17 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you use it for?

For metal work with a carbide burr then a proper die grinder, air or electric, are in a different league compared to a Dremmel or any of its clones. Makita £83 be warned proper die grinders are powerful, you cannot mess about one handed or an stuff that isn't clamped properly or you will hurt yourself.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

SteveWallace

posted on 11/9/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I took my Dremel apart this morning so see if I could find the problem and it turned out that one of the wires from the stator had snapped so it turned out to be a quite easy fix.

Inspired by that, I took my other two dead ones apart, but it would seem that its the variable speed control switches that are at fault with them so they are beyond me to fix. I'm still going to get something better when I can no longer make a working one out of the three that I have.

I am starting to like Dremels again though since I noticed that they are made in Mexico and therefore one in the eye for Trump

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

loggyboy

posted on 11/9/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Whoooa De ja vu

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=210153

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWallace

posted on 11/9/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so maybe I should have done a search before starting a new thread. If something is worth saying, its worth saying twice, or measure once and cut twice - something like that anyway!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.