Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caliper, Upright and Hub Shot Blasting?
Avoneer

posted on 16/1/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Caliper, Upright and Hub Shot Blasting?

Hi Guys.
I'm of to the shotblasters soon with a load of all sorts.
Is it worth getting my calipers, hubs and uprights done at the same time and then just replace all the rubber seals after?
Cheers,
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 17/1/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
blasted calipers

The uprights and hubs I did with a blaster but I did not do the calipers. The grit gets into every hole possible and I did not think it was worth the risk with the brakes, it is almost impossible to clear grit out with an airline afterwards.

"just like that !"

DarrenW

posted on 17/1/05 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have just had all of my donor parts done professionally. They werent shot blasted, i think they were done by electrolysis. Afterwards they were zinc plated. I had the uprights (front and back), brake drums, caliper brackets and brake back plates done for £40 + vat. For that price there was no point getting my hand dirty. When i got them back i etch primed them and brush painted with smoothrite.

BTW - all of the bearings etc were removed beforehand, bearing surface were cleaned up when i got them back to remove the plating before new bearings fitted.

I intend to trade the calipers in for recon ones. Ive rebuilt calipers before - they always look second hand and theres always a niggle about reliability. Now i dont mess with brakes, especially as new bits are so cheap.

Campany name is Almit based in Newton Aycliffe (near Darlington).

Darren.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.