Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More Welder Questions.. Sorry!
aweekes1

posted on 25/1/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
More Welder Questions.. Sorry!

Hi,

I'm still at planning stage and my thoughs are currently with chassis designs and how to build it. I can't even consider the expense of a TIG welder so it's MIG all the way, besides I think a MIG welder is more likely to find other quick and simple jobs around the 'house'. I gather the best bet is to get the most amps you can afford then run it lower rather than run a smaller unit harder? With this in mind my question is about spool orientation. I'm looking at the SIP 150A range which comes in either the normal smallish unit with a reel upright or a slightly more expensive and larger model with the reel on its side. I gather the side reel will allow easier welding with soft materials but will it make it easier to get a good mild-steel weld?

Cheers,
Adam.

stevebubs

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Been posted already in another thread, but worth taking a look

http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/acatalog/Special_Offers.html

Bought my welder from there. Get accessories from http://www.welduk.com/ though

stevebubs

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
BTW the light-sensitive helmets are worth their weight in gold.

Soz - can't answer the horizontal/vertical question.

DavidM

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion horizontal or vertical makes no difference. Main thing is it needs to turn smoothly and have an adjustable "brake" on the reel spindle to maintain a slight tension on the wire.

Hope this helps.

David

albertz

posted on 26/1/05 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have an ERP 150A mig, which i believe is exactly the same as the SIP, although i could well be wrong.

Anyway the wire feed units are quite weak with small plastic cogs which have a tendancy to break if any abnormal loads are applied i.e. wire snagging etc. This has happened to me twice now, once trying out aluminium wire (not recommended on my welder).

As i say, the welders may be different, so dont take my word for it, just a point to check.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.