Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Date received - Engine knackered
smac

posted on 10/1/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Date received - Engine knackered

Finally set the ball rolling on the legals for my book/pinto in November and have just received my date for Beverley - 29th Jan.

However since applying my engine has died. Started with steam from exhaust and mayo in oil. I changed the head gasket but no different. So I got a replacement head ( thanks Jacko) but no different. So unless both heads were cracked - seems unlikey - it looks like the block is cracked . Is there anything else it couls be or any way of firming up the diagnosis?

Either way Im on the look out for a pinto to get me through SVA

stevec

posted on 10/1/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a oil cooler fitted, could it be swapping water to the oil through that?
Steve.

bilbo

posted on 10/1/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
What sized pinto is it?
I'm a bit far away, but I do have 1.6 pinto sat in the garage.
It was smoking when it last ran (2 years ago), but I think new stem seals will sort that out. Carb is a bit buggered as well, but it's yours free if you can collect.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

the_fbi

posted on 10/1/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
If its been sat a while, then it will have a bit of condensation/water build up inside.
How much mayo was there?

OK steam from the exhaust should clear after its got up to normal temp, but may need a little throttle to get rid of it all.

If there's only mayo in the oil and not mayo in the water, I'd cross fingers its condensation as oil pressure should be higher than water pressure and thus be giving you mayo in water side if you'd got a crack. (OK it depends if the breach is at a oil HP point but I'm looking for hope here!)

smac

posted on 10/1/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
No oil cooler sadly.

I ran the engine for ages and no change so I dont think it can be condensation - also I changed the oil after each gasket/ head change so there should have been no water in it.

Bilbo - thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it.

Simon

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/1/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I know it might sound stupid, but I trust that you did put the head gasket on the right way each time.?

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mistergrumpy

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've sympathy for you mate. Mine developed the exact same problem and I tried the head gasket a few months ago too but didn't help and thus flagged up as a fail at SVA. If you discover what it is will you keep us updated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.