Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there any way of getting off a DVLA fine?
Steve Hignett

posted on 23/7/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Is there any way of getting off a DVLA fine?

I just typed out a big long scenario for everyone to read, but then caught the Escape key and it erased all the text in the message box

Is there any way that I can avoid paying the fine below.

I'm late for work now, will retype the scenario later!

Z20let Corsa

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
naughty naughty lol.

locost +4 v8 in progress.

the_fbi

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you were driving it for an MOT, booked in with the correct registration number, you appear to have been using it illegally.

It also appears the vehicle may be uninsured.

mookaloid

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think some people might have successfully argued that they did notify that their vehicle was off the road (SORNed) but you will need some evidence that that you did notify them and that they have got it wrong

Edit:

Sorry didn't read it properly. I guess it has been clocked by an automatic number plate recognition camera? Perhaps the car was on a trailer going to a track day?

[Edited on 23/7/09 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

thunderace

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
yes you can get off with it easy
pm me and i will tell you how.

cd.thomson

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace

all i need is your bank account details, a passport photograph and your national insurance number

Craig

carpmart

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace

all i need is your bank account details, a passport photograph and your national insurance number

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

vinny1275

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
unless you know you were actually driving it (and not to an MOT), ask them for the proof (pictures) that you were using it on the road.

If they're wrong and it's legal (taxed, MOT's, insured, send them copies of the documents by registered post and call them to let them know to expect them....

blakep82

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
yep, that letter is too vague for my liking, doesn't tell you where or when this took place, and no photos as proof.

ask for evidence

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
seems that steve just forgot to renew his tax disc, which is an easy thing to do if you rely on their reminders since they often dont arrive. Being the 27th of the month you were outside of your 15 days grace, so i see no way round it. Hopefully thunderace is right though!

I see no evidence that the vehicle wasnt insured so lets not start second guessing things

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

r1_pete

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Does the 15 days grace 'rule' still apply? I thought it had been abolished??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
seems that steve just forgot to renew his tax disc, which is an easy thing to do if you rely on their reminders since they often dont arrive. Being the 27th of the month you were outside of your 15 days grace, so i see no way round it. Hopefully thunderace is right though!

I see no evidence that the vehicle wasnt insured so lets not start second guessing things

Thanks Joel - well spotted!

Yup, vehicle was (and still is under my ownership) definately insured. I swapped over the insurance myself as I now own the car in question. It's always been insured with 2Gether and all documents are to hand.

I'm sure Steve will post more details again later but I hope he won't mind if I say he did already pay a fine for the offence, the DVLA are want a further £170....and he thought it had been settled originally as he was told at the time by two different and enforcable parties!

Cheers

will121

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
im not for the big brother thing, but think it depends a bit on wether actually guilty or not? assume its SORN'ed but they are saying it was seen on the road
ChrisW

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ask them to send a photo of the car on the road. If they don't have one, claim it must have been another car on your plates? After all, if no photo, there's no proof of anything different.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 23/7/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Does the 15 days grace 'rule' still apply? I thought it had been abolished??

5 days grace for Failure to display to allow DVA to send tax disc from 1st of month provide vehcile was taxed previous month owerwise NO Grace.

Failure to Tax - No Grace.

Failure to SORN - No Grace (officially)

Proof of SORN is on owner now and they have to provide copy of Proof of sorn (print off of Website saying SORN complete or letter from DVLA to get off).

Does descirption of Vehicle (photo) show your vehicle could have been a "Cloned" plate. Especially if you live in some where like Aberdeen and the offense was in London...

Did you do it - if you did then you should have known better - Pay the £170 and live with it. Could have been the FUZZ and that would have been 3 Points etc.

[Edited on 23/707/09 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

JoelP

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Could have been the FUZZ and that would have been 3 Points etc.

No point for no tax surely?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

morcus

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
If there is any chance that they're right and have evidence DO NOT REQUEST TO SEE IT! seriously, if they do, the only way you'll see it is if you go to court and if they do exist you'll be in much more shit, I know people who've had this happen to them and my Dad was specifically told not to by a solicitor friend on a speeding ticket for the same reason.
coozer

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Interested to know what the car was doing on the M6 at that time and what the first couple of reply's assume to.

Are ANPR camera's able to read a car on a trailer? If that's the case we need to start covering them up or better, if its not road legal take the plates off.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

the_fbi

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

If its GT55 MOX or GT55 MUX then its not showing on the Motor Insurance Database.

Perhaps its not one of those reg's but I couldn't think of another option given the lettering visible.

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Will post full details later... (Am in work on my phone)

I did drive the car. It was insured. I was taking it to McLannahan (he bought it that day). I was pulled over by Cheshire Police. They told me it was done on behalf of DVLA and non endorsable. They called the local tow guy, I paid the DVLA fine through him (£230). Police confirmed that. I was told by tow guy that if I bought tax in next 14 days I could claim £130 back, but couldn't do that as I sold it that day 200 miles away, and would of had to show him the car with tax!

So, the only reason I want to get away with it is because I was told (and have) the DVLA part was paid there and then, but now the DVLA are saying that was just for being towed (no, I wasn't towed) but the Police also confirmed this to me - ie, it wasn't just the tow guy ripping me off...

I just don't have the money to pay it now. The last fine went on Credit Card and I'm up to limit on that too!

Any help/advice greatly received...
Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.