Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT emissions problem
paulf

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
MOT emissions problem

Took my car for its third MOT today.Luckily the test station I use is switched on to kit cars and classics etc.They put the reg details into the computer and it had no emission details apart from first reg 2004 which meant it needed a cat test.They tried the probe in the exhaust but obviously it was way out on what is required having no cat and being set up rich at idle.
After some debating they managed to find a work around on the system and passed it.
Previously the system showed visible smoke test only as the car is on an age related 1968 G reg.Apparently this is starting to happen quite frequently on cars and bikes that are non standard.
Paul

WestfieldSEI

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
When I received my V5 back from the DVLA it was full of mistakes so I took it back to the local office (oxford) to get it sorted out. The woman who had first registed my car remembered me and was very helpful and got the V5 ammended.

On the front page of the V5 it now states the SVA date (so I don't need to show MoT when retaxing) and also visual emmissons check only for MoT (once required) - result!

paulf

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think my V5 states it but for some reason the MOT system does not, although it did last year.I will remember to take the V5 with me next year.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by WestfieldSEI
When I received my V5 back from the DVLA it was full of mistakes so I took it back to the local office (oxford) to get it sorted out. The woman who had first registed my car remembered me and was very helpful and got the V5 ammended.

On the front page of the V5 it now states the SVA date (so I don't need to show MoT when retaxing) and also visual emmissons check only for MoT (once required) - result!

DRC INDY 7

posted on 23/7/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I just mot mine mot'd like it said on the logbook 1 year old if the car has a age related number plate the rules state that it req's a mot in the 1st year

if it is asigned a new rag then its 3 years for the 1st mot

[Edited on 7/23/2009 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

WestfieldSEI

posted on 24/7/09 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have an age -related plate and was told (even got it in writing) that I do not need an MoT for three years...
x_flow57

posted on 24/7/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have an age -related plate and was told (even got it in writing) that I do not need an MoT for three years...

+1

Nick

the_fbi

posted on 24/7/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I must admit Oxford seem really good.

When I got my Ibiza (130 TDI Sport) the V5 was showing as 158 (from memory) CO2, when it should have been 138 (lower tax bracket). Luckily I had the EU certificate for the car which had the proper numbers, they changed it there/then and issued a new tax disc at the lower (£120) amount.

They even considered refunding the previous years which had been overcharged, but unfortunately as I wasn't the owner then, they didn't.

With regards to the MOT and emissions. My Focus has a sport cat (one of the £30 americal "bullet" style ones) which routinely fails the emissions test because its a long way down the system and just doesn't get hot enough during the test to work efficiently.

This year, the same as last year (different garage) I noticed that the first 2 tests, it appears they get 2 attempts during one MOT, it shows reg number and lots more details. On the one it passed on, its a much briefer report so I get the impression there are "work arounds" which they'll use to keep customers happy

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 24/7/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57
quote:

+1

Nick

I've got to MOT mine in feb when it will be three years after registration with age related.

neilj37

posted on 24/7/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mines on an age related plate and was MOT'd for the first time this month after 3 years.
paulf

posted on 24/7/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I also Moted mine for the first time when it had be the road for 3 years.This was its 3rd mot as its been on the road for 5 years and never previously had a problem.
Paul.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.