Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your 'daily runners' tyres?
Chaz

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
What are your 'daily runners' tyres?

I'm looking to get new tyres on all four corners soon. I have a Toyota Celica (whether or not this makes a difference i dont know).

What tyres do you have on your daily running car?

Could you rate them for;
Noise.
Grip.
Wear.
Price.

Oh and where you got them too would be nice! Thanks for your input!

omega0684

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
i have the cheapest shi**est tyres that the garage have to offer,

noise: doesn't matter, i just turn the stereo up so the BOOM BOOM BOOM drowns it out

grip, what grip

wear: i think the are the hardest compound known to man and i do very little milage so pretty good

price: thats the best bit, they were buy one get one free @ £24/ tyre!

i think i should admit i do drive a corsa!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 15/8/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Kumho KU31 I had on my Ibiza (130 TDI Sport) after having Kumho 712 Sport on my Focus (which still has them) and finding them really good.

Very quiet road noise too.

The Ibiza was very nose heavy due to the engine but still the tyres lasted really well, gripped fantastically in both wet and dry, easily out performing P6000's etc.

I have P Zero Asym. on my Calibra and I think the KU31's are better than those too.

Next time I need to change, I'll get the KU31 again. Can't fault them at all, and were £60 fitted each (205 40 ZR 17 High Load) from Northampton Tyres, although you can get them off eBay cheaper, or www.mytyres.net www.blackcircles.com etc.

[Edited on 15/8/09 by the_fbi]

RK

posted on 15/8/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
tirerack.com

It has all sorts of reviews you can check out. It's a very useful site. Let's you know just how much we all get ripped off for our tread in other countries than the US.

nitram38

posted on 15/8/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Same as my MotaLeira, Toyo TR1's.
I like them for all round grip in wet or dry and they are very quiet.

Should have added that cheaptyres and having a wife and kids do not go together.
I'm not saying that all cheap tyres are crap, just that you tend to get what you pay for.
I don't really want to find out how poor the grip on cheap tyres are when I need them

[Edited on 15/8/2009 by nitram38]

meany

posted on 15/8/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
2006 Impreza 2.5 WRX.
as fitted from new.

Bridgestone potenza RE050
size, 215/45/17

Noise- 7/10
Grip- 9/10...the reason why im stll using them.
wear- 7/10
price- 5/10... £110 each last time i bought some.

dhutch

posted on 15/8/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
On the 306 i have Mich Energys on the rear and 'Admaral PowerMax's on the front.
- The energys are fine, but the fronts where £49 for the pair fitted put on by the bloke i bought the car of to get it through the MOT and there utter shite. Equally bad are the Barum Brillientis tyres i had on the front of the previous 306.

I guess theres a time a place for cheap shite tyres but im deffonatly going to change them shortly as the grip, espically in the wet, is just so non existant its unfunny. Like you can get both tyres to spin up in third and with the trailer hill starts are basicly a non starter, as is stopping.

Dad spent a bit of time going through tyres for the A4 trying to get the ballence of noise, grip and price, and he has ended up with Toyo T1R's all round. Ordered from blackcircle and fitted locally.

Daniel

[Edited on 15/8/2009 by dhutch]

Danozeman

posted on 15/8/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have runways on mine. Always get the cheapies. They tend to last longer. I find them good. My BMW has them on it toowhich were on it when i bought it. Not to noisey and grip well.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

zilspeed

posted on 15/8/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have black ones on mine.

I have dleiberately chosen a specific tyre only a handfull of times, otherwise, it's whatever you've got in the right size at the right price.

(I know, this comes as no great surprise.)

When it comes to the Sylva needing tyres, I will buy ther very best I can afford.

The last Golf had Yokohama A539s which were perfectly acceptable grip wise and also fairly hard wearing too.
The A4 had had Avon ZV1s which were also ok but nothing startling.
The current Golf has black ones.

mark chandler

posted on 15/8/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pirelli P zero's 255/45/18 & 225/45/18 on a XK8

I will get around 30k out of them, grippy and quiet but expensive, even when worn to the limit still good in the wet.

On a range rover I used to run pirelli's then switched to continentals, these were much quieter and lasted longer on this heavy car.

Regards Mark

Agriv8

posted on 15/8/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
pasat tdi.

continental premium contact 2 used them for a while and know cant find them cheep because which magazine put them at the top of the best buys list

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

blakep82

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
sava intensa, made by goodyear, good for grip, good in the wet, noise is ok, wear very good price, well... £90 each for my BMW328. there wasn't much cheaper than that...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

minitici

posted on 15/8/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Serbian made Tigars an my Hungarian made Suzuki
l0rd

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
MICHELIN PRIMACY HP Run FLats on the front
Wakefield (afdbasuobfas) something on the back.

Can't comment on noise grip or anything.
I drive slowly, i have a much louder HiFi on the car than the noise outside and i have just put them on the car.

Price, the Michelins i got them from ebay for £65 pounds a pair with 7-8mm of thread.
The other come with the alloys and i will change them asap.

flak monkey

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
My leon has alkens all around. Cant remember the exact numbers but the backs are assymetric and the fronts are symetric. Shame they dont match as they are all new

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ninehigh

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
The Mondeo has P6000 front, they were about £65 each and to be blunt are doing just as well as the cheap no-brand ones on the back that were ironically £60 each.

I've found over my time that cheap ones are fine if you're not thrashing it, although I have had to be very careful in the wet in previous years. It really is brown trousers time when you try to stop a bit quick at a roundabout and they lock up!

MikeRJ

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've stuck with Toyo T1-R or Falken FK452, both offer excellent performance for the money, though tempted by Vredestein Sessanta next time round. Fitted Falken ZE912's to my wifes Octavia recently and they are significantly better than the very crappy Pirelli P6000s that were on it before.

I will not use cheap, crap tyres even on a cheap crap car; even the nastiest of cars have to stop quickly sometimes...

[Edited on 16/8/09 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.