Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Having a go at making some carbon bits
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Having a go at making some carbon bits

I fancy having a go at making some carbon bits for my car. Just for the sake of it more than anything. Somthing I have always fancied having a go at.

I know Claires got a sticky at the top of the section - so maybe she'll be able to give some expert advice...

One of the things I want to have a go at is making a bulge to cover the plenum which sticks out of the side of my bonnet. The cut out is a wierd shape at the moment, but I would make the bulge a much simpler shape with a return flange on the outside to glue to the inside of the bonnet/nose.

New bonnet fitted 3
New bonnet fitted 3

I would plan to make it in one piece then cut it in 2 to fit the nose and bonnet.

I know the general idea is to make a wooden buck then make a FG mould from that, then mould the actual carbon from that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for supplies (matting, resins, gels etc etc)?

Any tips for making the buck as its curved in all directions? MDF formers? but what would I fill the gaps between them with?

If this goes to plan maybe I will make some carbon wings too...

Another thing - say I had a carbon (or indeed other) part I wanted to copy... How would I go about making a mould from it? What do I use for release agent? I dont really want to trash the part I am copying....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tegwin

posted on 24/5/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
There are some really good tutorial videos on youtube.. most of them are shortened "demo" videos, but there are enough of them to get the idea for making plugs, moulds and forming parts...

For your bulge I would use some foam, cut, sanded filled to the right shape... seal with something sealing and then make the mold over the top of that.

However, once the plug has been made I personally would chop it into 2 pieces and mold it with a "joggle" line overlap along the joint to make it neater!

snakebelly

posted on 24/5/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
East Coast fibreglass for supplies, and as said foam and fibreglass for the mould. ECF sell both and are really helpfull on the phone.
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the supplier info, seems like good prices.

Anyone know where I can get the foam from? I assume that its ok to fill with P45 or similar then sand to shape.

Whats best to seal it with that wont react with the foam?

I would also like to take a mould of my aeroscreen which is ABS... is it possible without trashing it?

Sera

kj

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
east coast do the foam too or your local flower shop, i have taken a mould from my glass fibre double buble screen and it did not cause any damage.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

omega0684

posted on 24/5/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
what about just spraying the plenum black?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
what about just spraying the plenum black?

Thats kinda missing the point

I want to get the stiffness back in the bonnet really.

Sera

tegwin

posted on 24/5/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
CFSnet are also a good supplier....

When I did bits for my car I simply used the pink insulation foam left over from the neighbours garage build... Cuts and sands ok and is nice and cheap... just have to make sure you seal it really well before introducing resin to it... or it might melt!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Fred W B

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane foam insulation is fine with resin.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

bi22le

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I used to do I.C.E builds for the boots of cars I use to use loft insulation sheets. Normally light blue in colour and super soft to work with. The fibre glass resin use to melt it so I use to cover it in duck tape!!

Mould and shape as I want and then cover as required. I use to get some really nice shapes from that method.

Im sure CF resin will work with duck tape to so thats another method

Good luck.

Oh my 2p worth. I like the plenum on show, makes people realise that there is something special under neath, and its a tidy finish so it looks nice. Reinforce the bonnet another way.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

flak monkey

posted on 25/5/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Might have a play around in the next few weeks.

Whats the consensus on the likelihood of melting my ABS aero screen when making a mould off it?

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.