Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrostatic Magic Results
Irony

posted on 25/8/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Electrostatic Magic Results

I had a day off today and I have been gathering a few brackets and such so out came the electrostatic magic machine.

I have had it for ages and I borrowed a compressor from work. I bought High Chrome, Black Gloss, Red Gloss and Clear from Newark show.

Setting up the machine was easy, took know more than 5 minutes. The manual I have is basic and looks like it been photocopied by a blind badger in a bag but it does the job. The new versions of the machine may have a better manual.

I set the compressor to the right pressure which is a very small amount. I guess you need a half decent regulator. The kit came with a filter that plugs in nice and easy. Poured the powder into the 'hopper' and I was ready to go.

Below is a part very similar to the alternator bracket I used. Exactly the same condition as the part I intend to Powder coat.

Description
Description

Below is a picture of the actual part after I had attacked with the angry grinder with a wirebrush.

Description
Description

Now I found a way to support the part by using a piece of ali bar clamped to a shelf and a bit of coat hanger wire bent into a hook.

Clip the crocodile clip to the part which gives it a negative charge, depress the foot pedal and press the powder gun and out comes positively charge powder. It goes everywhere though and its best to where a mask. I did but I still have grey bogies now. It doesn't take more than a couple of minute to cover the part.

Description
Description

Into the oven. It says 10min at 180 degrees. My oven is fan assisted and my first attempt left the piece totally over cooked. The powder went all bubbly and awful. After 15 minutes with Mr Angry again I tried it on 160 degrees.

Description
Description

Description
Description

As you can see the part is finished and I think looks quite cool. There are a few imperfections but considering it was straight onto the angry grinded finish its pretty good. There were one or two tiny bubbles but I think I should have taken it out the oven quicker. The photos are not that great. The finish is not chrome, more like a polished aluminium but very glossy.

Then I tried some mild steel brackets.

Description
Description

Then some black Ali Brackets in black

Description
Description

All in all I think they look good and it turned out to be very quick in comparison to painting. The finish is way better than a brush finish and nearly and good as a sprayed finish even on rough metal. It fills in rough surfaces pretty good. All in all I am quite please. If any of you are considering buying then I would recommend this product. I managed to to 16 brackets in about half a day, next time much much faster. The finish seems tough and resistant.

Top tips

Clean oven door so you can see through

Don't leave in to long

180 degrees is to hot in fan assisted ovens try 160

Sharp edges should be rounded off with a file.

Pre-make some nice hooks to hang parts from and think about your hanging method in the oven before applying powder

I found best results was to put the part in cool oven, set to 160 and then as soon as the little light goes out on the oven telling you its reached 160 turn the oven off and open door. Thicker parts need slightly longer as they take longer to warm up.

I don't have handy access to a compressor but the 50l one I borrow didn't even come on as the pressure in the tank was enough for 17 parts. In fact the pressure only went down by 1 bar all day. I think that a cylinder of compressed air would last absolutely ages. I have lots of used gas canisters at work for the gas fortlift and if I could get the right parts perhaps use one of these. I would need to fill it up at work and then bring it home. I would need a regulator on it. Does anyone have any idea what parts I would need and where I would get them from?

bi22le

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for going into the time to write a review. I see the guys selling this product at every kit car show I go to and it seems a really good product. I would certainly consider buying one if I was doing a new build so I could make lots of anazzy brackets.

Well done!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Irony

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure its any good for large objects. You really need a big oven for that. But small bracket and parts it really is a doddle.

RichardK

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly bought one at the last two show I've been to, now regret not doing so.. bugger...

Good to know it works though, you using your kitchen oven? Does it not smell afterwards?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am not sure its any good for large objects. You really need a big oven for that. But small bracket and parts it really is a doddle.

Not strictly true, I managed good results using the paints stripper option. Took a while, and I wouldnt want to do a chassis, but does mean its possible.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=139736

Finished Frame
Finished Frame

Heating PowderCoat
Heating PowderCoat

steve m

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
In the second pic

DFS have got a sale !!

Irony

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well I used my normal oven whilst the SWMBO was at work. It didn't smell at all really. I did however clean the oven afterwards and the oven cleaner was or seemed 20 times as toxic. Bonus points with the SWMBO.

interestedparty

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the big question, that can't be answered yet, is how well is it going to stick?

I know on steel getting powder cost to stick is well tricky, tends to look good for a while and then it starts flaking off.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Irony

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
in regards to longevity of the 'stickyness' and 'flake-off-y-ness' I cannot comment. But I just had a good go at it with a screw driver and it seems to have stuck good and proper!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.