Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to Mount a Lidl Electric Hoist?
John P

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
How to Mount a Lidl Electric Hoist?

Bought one of the Lidl electric hoists and can't work out a good way to mount it.

My garage has a very low flat roof so I was thinking about fixing the load arm to the outside wall but it's supposed to be clamped to a length of scaffold tube.

If I just bolted the pivot part to the wall do you think it would tale the load.

Would probably have to be just two M10 or M12 studs fixed into the brickwork with chemical anchor.

John.

big-vee-twin

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of getting one and went to look but decided against like you would find it difficult to mount I would try and mount it how it should be using a pole probably bolted to wall

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

MikeRJ

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you mean is it ok to use the beam as a cantilever, supported just from one end then no. It's designed to be supported from both ends; I think a wire cable is used to form a triangulated structure in the Lidl design.

If you simply bolted one end of the beam to a wall with no support for the other end the stress at the mounting point would be huge and either the beam, the fasteners or the wall itself would fail very quickly IMO.

MakeEverything

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Bolt some steel uprights to the wall on either side, then a scaffold / I beam across the middle against the roof, effectively making an A Frame, but bolted to the building.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Davey D

posted on 22/11/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
i have a beam running the full length of my garage. i fabbed up a plate that bolts to the top of my hoist using the existing holes that were for the supplied brackets. i then made some fixings that let me bolt a runner onto the plate, so it runs along my beam.

i can get some pics later if anyone is interested?

coozer

posted on 22/11/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have beams across the garage and used some angle to make a running lift...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DaveFJ

posted on 22/11/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have done very similar to above, cant move it along when there is a large load on it but it does make positioning easy....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

hobbsy

posted on 22/11/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I had my electric hoist in my single garage I just used two of these:

(called stair tread couplers and cost <£5 each)

with M10 wall anchors into the wall above head height to hold a scaffold tube between the two walls then mounted the hoist on that.

Now I'm moved house and got a double garage (woop!) rather than try and span twice the distance I'm going to use the same adaptors between two of the ceiling joists and the scaffold pole with them only be about 3 feet long. Its a flat roof and the joists are meaty - about 4x8 or so maybe a little less. I'll put a plate on the backside of the joist where the bolts pass through with the same footprint as the stair tread coupler - couple of M10 high tensile bolts and its should be all good.

Well good enough to lift out my R1 engine (~70Kg) - not so sure I'd want to use it to the max of the hoist (250Kg?) though.

Would like the "bearings on an I-beam" setup but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the work - just turn the car around or move it if its not in the right place!

zilspeed

posted on 22/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
My setup cost about a tenner all in.

Works well.

My next thought is to have similar traverse setup at the other end of the shed. With a longitudinal beam between and the hoist on rollers on that, I will be able to have the load at any point on the X, Y or Z axis within the garage.

Hoist in position LHS
Hoist in position LHS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.