Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding advice needed.
BigLee

posted on 27/3/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Welding advice needed.

I have been fortunate enough to borrow my mates Mig (Snap-On Mig 185) this weekend and need a little set up advice and cannot get hold of him. It's more to check I've set the gas up right. I've already dropped the bottle on my foot so don't need to do that again! For transportation we'd disconnected the pipe at the bottle, so, that's reconnected. I've opened the tap with the square key so the regulator is showing 220 lb/in. Is that it? I disconnected the pipe again overnight, and its still showing 220 this morning. I cannot see any other valves to open other than what looks like a blow of valve. I ask because my welds don't look as good as they should. They look porous like small lumps of pumice? It's 15 years since I used a Mig and because I was at college, it was all set up for me. Any help greatly appreciated.

Lee

marcjagman

posted on 27/3/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
For mig welding you need no more than 16psi, I have mine at 10-12 and get perfect welds. Do you have gas hissing from the welder when you squeeze the trigger? Sounds like no gas is coming out at all.
will121

posted on 27/3/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
what kind of regulator is it? has it got two pressure gauges? if so one might be cylinder pressure, second regulator outlet with adjuster knob in middle to increase/decrease pressure have you tried to adjusting knob as normally good pratice to wind regulator off when finished welding so would be no gas flow

[Edited on 27/3/11 by will121]

Peteff

posted on 27/3/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Disconnect the feed roller and switch the machine on, turn the cylinder on fully and turn the regulator knob out so there is no gas flow when the trigger is pressed. Put the tip near to your ear, pull the trigger and turn the regulator knob clockwise till you hear a gentle sssshhhh. Now look at the right hand dial and if it is below 10lpm you should be good to go. You read in litres per minute usually, the left hand gauge psi side is for the cylinder contents.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BigLee

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Only one dial. I am opening the tap nearest the bottle but suspect the gas isn't going anywhere.

Regulator
Regulator

What does what?

Thanks again

Peteff

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
If the cylinder tap is open as the gauge is showing good pressure get a spanner on the hex head on the regulator, you may have to undo the locking nut to turn it. As before turn it till you hear a gentle sshhh and you have enough gas. If it's hissing fiercely turn it back out as it will cause turbulence and bring atmosphere into the shield. You have connecetd the pipe from the welder to the cylinder haven't you?

[Edited on 27/3/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BigLee

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete,

Yes I have! Although not connecting it and simply filling the garage with Argo-Shield will surely work just fine??? (Falling unconcious will slow progress somewhat!)
Thats the answer I needed mate - much appreciated

Lee

RichardK

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
This is the hex head Pete is talking about if youre unsure.
Description
Description

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
As a safety point that cylinder is showing 220bar or 3200psi.

If you open the tap with the hose disconnected as shown in the picture do you hear/feel gas coming out of the regulator where the pipe connects? If not try slowly screwing in the regulator until you hear a bit of flow.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

BigLee

posted on 27/3/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Davie. Just looked at my own picture and realised my pressure error!
I hadn't adjusted the regulator at all, so no gas = poo welds. I'll sort it this afternoon. "The Family" need to go to Sainsburys!

clairetoo

posted on 27/3/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just a small , but important point - whats that PTFE tape doing on the regulator connection to the bottle ? It just simply shouldnt be there , it's not going to stop any leaks , and the seal is metal to metal below the nut , the thread is nothing to do with sealing .
And if any gets into the sealing part of the connection , it will allmost certainly leak .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

posted on 27/3/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
For just a few pounds you could add a flow meter to your reg. (eBay ??)

You then know exactly the amount of gas your using.

Cheers,
Paul G

Description
Description

BigLee

posted on 27/3/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to everyone for advice. All welds are now beautiful! Thanks to Claire too for the heads up re ptfe tape. I see where your coming from with that. As it isn't leaking I'll leave it be for now, but will advise my mate for future reference.
Just need more time in the garage now. Anyone help me with that?

Lee

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.