Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bench vice
bigdrew

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Bench vice

Having finally got round to building a proper workbench I am in need of a vice. I have seen this (ebay link below) which looks pretty good for the money, or the other option is to get a older record no 23 or a new cheapy one.

RECORD 10507817 100MM PRO ENTRY SWIVEL VICE (NEW) on eBay (end time 15-Apr-11 14:21:24 BST)

Do old record vices tend to be better than the new ones. At under 40 quid it seems pretty cheap..

johnq

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
ive got the same one, its good enough for the basic diy jobs, but dont hit it with a 10lb hammer,it will shatter,,,

looks like rain again

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/4/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a decent Vice (well two actually) That I'm going to be selling in the next week or so...

Do you want me to get details of it?

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
bit small tbh better off with one your not scared to damage, I put some serious forces on mine bending bars etc and the last thing I need is the vice to break then

[Edited on 1/4/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnN

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'd prefer Record No.23 Quick release Vice on eBay (end time 01-Apr-11 20:59:34 BST)
bigdrew

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. I think I will keep my eye out for something a bit more substantial. Steve, if you could that would be great, I'm guessing they are not the easiest item to post though so that could be a problem!
Steve Hignett

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
You're not that far away, maybe we know people that are making the trip???

Will get a photo and details...

I'll stick it on the scales too, but it's a bloody decent vice, and more importantly it's had new jaws at some point over the last year or so...

designer

posted on 1/4/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have two Record 23'3.

Never get any other than a Record, they are the best vice going. At that price snap his hand off.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have a second hand record 75 which is about a fantastic as a vice could be.
I don't abuse this one but I also have another big old record vice which I am less kind to

Buy old Record if you can

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I have two Record 23'3.

Never get any other than a Record, they are the best vice going.

They used to be. Now they are made in China with predictable consequences to the quality.

DIY Si

posted on 1/4/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Same with the quick release Record 23 here. A mate and his dad were going to take one to the tip as it didn't open fully and only wanted £5!! All I did was file a burr off the rear of the slide and once greased it works really nicely. The only thing I would change is to give it a swivel. There will always be something that is just the wrong size/shape/length for how you fit it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Andybarbet

posted on 1/4/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Record number 2 vice, its really old, my brother inlaw was throwing it out as it was rusty.

Half an hour with a wire brush in a drill, a quick coat of red smoothrite i had laying around & some decent grease, it works a treat & looks like new

I would recommend joining a local freecycle group & putting a wanted advert up, i bet someone local has one gathering dust that they dont need.

We have Record vice's at work too, they just dont seem to break no matter how much we batter them.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

bigdrew

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice chaps. Got my self a old Record 23 in the end. Record No.23 Quick release Vice on eBay (end time 01-Apr-11 20:59:34 BST)

Not quite the £5 bargain Si managed to get one for, but £30 quid is still pretty good I think!

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/4/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Here are a couple photo's of my Record No. 24...

It looks a lot better condition in the flesh!!!

bigdrew

posted on 3/4/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, I found a chap selling the same vice round the corner from me sp i've had it from him.Sorry for having you take the pictures and what ever else!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.