Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump Compression
BATHO

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sump Compression

Hi all,
After doing alot of work on my Triumph 1500 engine, head gasket and other things etc, ready for the summer.
I now have sump compression is there a quicker fix for this other than a rebore? because don't really want
to put any more money into this old anchor.

thanks BATHO

[Edited on 9/4/11 by BATHO]

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
The bores probably need honing and new rings. Same as my smoker
Did you take the pistons out?

BTW they can (despite what people say) be a fair little engine. Mine with a few light tweeks was 91bhp on the rollers. OK, not mega power, but makes an old car fairly nippy. (he says, whilst building another Zetc powered spitfire )

britishtrident

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rings could just be stuck might be worth putting it at half stroke and soaking a little Redex down the bores for a few days.

The 1500 wasn't a great engine the long stroke made it more prone to big end and bore wear problems.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a bodge but it does seem to work is Holts Piston Seal , if you can still get it ? The Truimph 1300 cc engine was always much nicer than the 1500
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
saying that my experience of working on spitfire and other triumph engines has lead me to the belief that they are just badly designed and built, even my spitfire owning brother in-law agrees... I keep telling him to put a pinto in his

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
thats a bit harsh. You could say it was a very successful engine, started as an 800cc back in the 50's, lasted as an engine with twice the capacity until 1980. Not too shabby, plus it managed a campaign or two at le mans, think it had a class win??

Anyway, there isn't a lot wrong with it as long as you understand it is an old design engine. And drive it accordingly.

BTW a pinto is a pretty easy fit in a spitfire, only difficult bit is the exhaust manifold (plus you need a pair of sidedraught carbs) but with a little more effort the zetec goes in nicely

BATHO

posted on 9/4/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply's.

I did fit new rings, perhaps thats what i did wrong fitting new rings to old bores. Will try and get some Holts Piston Seal and see if that can get me through the summer.
Cheers Batho

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
new rings will need a hone. The piston seal stuff may not be a good idea
I would whip th ehead off, sump off, push the pistons out and hone the bores. Then again its best part of a days work. Live and learn though.

other alternative would be to try running in oil. Not sure if it would work, but may help the rings bed in a little? Preference would be honing.

BATHO

posted on 16/4/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, update .
I did a compression test today with the engine hot and the figures where 1>150 psi 2>150psi 3>146psi 4>146psi what are your thoughts on these with my current sump compression problem. I thought they would have been a bigger difference between cylinders. I was trying to fined the bad bore or are they all bad?

cheers Batho

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.