Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rescue firms happy to deal with kit cars?
David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Rescue firms happy to deal with kit cars?

My current "any car I'm in" breakdown recovery service expires at the end of August (Britannia Rescue) but now I've got a new car I get 1 year's free AA coverage for that one only (full package). I don't want to pay the full whack of £84 to cover just the Locost, so now I need to find something else.

I'll be checking out Britannia's price for just one car, and whether they're happy for that car to be a kit, but I'd like to get a few more prices before I commit.

Does anyone else know of a reasonably priced rescue service that will cover kits? Just the basic "get you home" sort of package.

flak monkey

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
The AA picked me up in the kit when the alternator siezed. Didnt even bother sending the bloke to have a look as I convinced them that I knew he wouldnt fix it at the side of the road. Recovery truck turned up 45mins later and they listened that I needed a sliding bed type...

Still with the AA, its about to renew. Not cheap at £100 but cheaper than paying £50+ each for vehicle (2 bikes and a car)

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Alfa145

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
AutoAid http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

£38

Only draw back is you pay up front for recovery and then claim it back. Used it and its very good, far better service than I've had from the big names. You just need to make sure you always go out with the credit card in your pocket.

My clutch cable went, got picked up from down country lanes in 20 mins, paid £75 to the recovery firm, sent the receipt in for the claim and 7 days later had the cheque in the bank.

Aledgedly the AA don't cover kits (thats what they told me when I asked), but the RAC do, so always best to confirm with any of them before paying.

[Edited on 6/8/11 by Alfa145]

David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm - AutoAid looks interesting...

andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Britannia Rescue and there were no probs with recovery when the tiger broke down on the M5 last year.

To be honest, over the years I've found their service to be excellent.

regards,
Andy.

wicket

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Breakdown recovery service (provided by AXA Assistance) for our Fiat and Luego are included in the separate insurance polices with Footman James. I used them earlier this week when the clutch cable broke on the Fiat. Flat bed recovery truck arrived 20 minutes after my phone call, well pleased with the service.
Custardpants

posted on 6/8/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
My breakdown cover with adrian flux was an additional £30, and they sent an appropriate truck straight away when i told them my gearshift linkage had come off inside my propshaft tunnel with no way to get to it. I dont know whether you could find out if its possible to use the same company without being insured with flux themselves....
DRC INDY 7

posted on 6/8/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
My breakdown cover came with the insurance from footman james as standard and covers me uk and europe and only cost me £260 for the year
Peteff

posted on 6/8/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
AA recovered me twice, as long as it's registered and road legal it's no problem according to them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

norfolkluego

posted on 6/8/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
My RAC cover is personal to me and wifey, i.e. we're covered rather than a specific named car. It therefore covers whatever vehicle we're driving at the time
BATHO

posted on 6/8/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Im with RAC and pay £8.45 month and that covers me in any tin top/kit and bike.

martin

Wheels244

posted on 6/8/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
My RAC cover is personal to me and wifey, i.e. we're covered rather than a specific named car. It therefore covers whatever vehicle we're driving at the time

+1

David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego

That's identical to what I get from Britannia Rescue - but I'm looking for something much cheaper for just the Locost.

paulf

posted on 6/8/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Im with the RAC any car policy and pay about £84 but on the couple of occasions that I have had to call them it took 1.5 hours each time for them to get to me so not really impressed with the service but its to easy to just auto renew each year.
Paul

Blackbird Rush

posted on 6/8/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Called out the RAC yesterday when the Dax's engine let go, told them on the phone that it was terminal and not to send a patrol just a recovery lorry, however waited an hour then a patrolman in a transit turned up! who asked me what the problem was and then said OK we'll send a truck to take you home.

Hour & half later a truck turned up and the old boy (RAC sub-contracted recovery) made a right meal of getting the car on the back of the truck, and then to top it all we had to change lorries half way as the first bloke wouldn't go inside the M25!

Took nearly 5 hours to do a 40 mile recovery!

I'll be looking elsewhere when my renual is up.

BATHO

posted on 6/8/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
Called out the RAC yesterday when the Dax's engine let go, told them on the phone that it was terminal and not to send a patrol just a recovery lorry, however waited an hour then a patrolman in a transit turned up! who asked me what the problem was and then said OK we'll send a truck to take you home.

Hour & half later a truck turned up and the old boy (RAC sub-contracted recovery) made a right meal of getting the car on the back of the truck, and then to top it all we had to change lorries half way as the first bloke wouldn't go inside the M25!

Took nearly 5 hours to do a 40 mile recovery!

I'll be looking elsewhere when my renual is up.

I've not had to use my RAC cover yet, touch wood!

But i don't like the sound of that

martin.

gingerprince

posted on 6/8/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I use GEM : http://www.motoringassist.com/home

Been collected in the MK twice now in the last few years. Both times no problem. Both times I explained about low ground clearance on the phone. Both times they sent a suitable truck to load the car onto. They do pay-and-collect like AutoAid too (though a bit more expensive I think), but they cover me and the Mrs in any car, including the Kit, for about 100 quid. Only thing they don't include is european cover.

norfolkluego

posted on 6/8/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Called the RAC out probably 5 or 6 times over the last 25 odd years, zero complaints. Always found them very quick to arrive, probably never had to wait more than 20 minutes, always done a good job (bar one) when they've arrived.

The one time I wasn't too impressed was one freezing cold January night about 4 years ago, power died on the Pajero, a very young RAC bloke turned up and almost without checking said alternator has gone, it hadn't it was just a loose belt (which is a pain to get at on a Paj), I found out it was the belt about six months later when it happened again. This time a 'mature' RAC guy turned up, diagnosed the fault correctly in about 10 seconds then fixed it.

NigeEss

posted on 6/8/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The AA .................................Didnt even bother sending the bloke to have a look as I convinced them that I knew he wouldnt fix it at the side of the road.

How did you manage that !!

Water pump pully sheared off my Astra which obviously threw the timing belt, 16v one so not a safe engine. Despite
me telling the operator she still sent a van out. Bloke took one look and ordered a flatbed. 40min wait for the van
and another hour for the truck. Was far from amused.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.