Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Angle grinder stand
w.olly

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Angle grinder stand

Now i am not being lazy here before some body says so

I am in the process of getting the materials for my chassis so i need to decide how i want to cut it, i was going to get a cut of saw, to expensvie for me and even a £200 saws are not all that accurate , a hack saw is a long way around to get it done and hard work ( the lazy bit LOL ) now i have been looking at angle grinder stands, i have seen them from £15 upto £50, i know you get what you pay for but can i have a bit of feed back on these gadgets, look neat, i usualy do all my angle grinder cutting by hand but i hope these are more accurate.

Wolly

just one i found that doesnt seem bad
MANNESMANN SEPARATION STAND 240mm x 240mm FOR SMALL ANGLE GRINDER METAL/STONE | eBay

[Edited on 13/4/12 by w.olly]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I used one of those but only for 90deg cuts. I used a spare angle grinder I had so I could leave it setup. Just make sure that it's checked for true 90deg on a scrap piece first.

It certainly helped me speed up the cutting process

BTW, I always used 1mm cutting discs, they don't last too long but they are not too bad if you buy them in bulk packs. I got mine from Machine Mart and my local BOC gas supplier.

HTH

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jossey

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
ive seen the larger one. as the discs for the 230 grinder is cheaper than the grinder i have. dont you have a 230 grinder which you could use with the larger version of the holder.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
w.olly

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
So just as accurate, or inaccurate as a cut off saw, not a bad thing then as all cuts will be squared up etc then, i get my gear from machine mart as they do good disc for the price, not checked on the laser discs yet but i have seen some places do them for around £15 for 25, enough to do the whole chassis i believe.

Just a thought though, how many cuts will you actualy get from a disc, as it wheres it will give smaller cuts, the laser discs can wear out quick so are the grinders set to get most from the disc? Just a thought, or am i thinking to much into this......sorry my mind works over time at times, i am off to sort a bit more of the workshop ready, getting excited now

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I found that as long as I wasn't to heavy-handed on the cutting, the discs lasted fairly well (can't really remember how many cuts of 25mm box per disc as it was many moons ago!)

Just let the disc do the work rather than trying to 'force' it through the steel. Just a thought, maybe a little cutting oil would give them a little longer life? Not tried it myself, but I guess it could get messy

chris-g

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you are not too far from a Lidl you could go for one of these.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_29973.htm

phil m

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
grinder stand

This is the stand I used - cost about £25 (7/8 years ago) Bit of a fiddle to set up but very accurate when it was up and running. I would use it again as it was cheap and I already had a big angle grinder, but I have always wanted a ddedicated machine for this type of work

loggyboy

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g

I have one of these, works quite well. Defo bargain buy.

Stott

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
I found that as long as I wasn't to heavy-handed on the cutting, the discs lasted fairly well (can't really remember how many cuts of 25mm box per disc as it was many moons ago!)

Just let the disc do the work rather than trying to 'force' it through the steel. Just a thought, maybe a little cutting oil would give them a little longer life? Not tried it myself, but I guess it could get messy

No no no no no

Keep your discs and abrasive wheels dry, localised absorption in the disc/wheel will cause imbalance leading to breakup and a bit of cut off wheel stuck in your forehead

Atb
Stott

[Edited on 13/4/12 by Stott]

chris-g

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

I have one of these, works quite well. Defo bargain buy.

Me too. My only complaint is the clamp doesn't hold short items very well. I also bought a cheap angle grinder and keep it permanently fixed to the stand.

loggyboy

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Me too. My only complaint is the clamp doesn't hold short items very well. I also bought a cheap angle grinder and keep it permanently fixed to the stand.

I secured mine to my work bench adjacent to my vice so use that to secure most items rather than the lil clamp provided.

John P

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
When I built my McSorley chassis I had access to various band and cut-off saws where I worked but to set them up accurately for compound angles took so long I ended up marking them out and cutting with a hack saw.

It actually doesn't take that long and is probably less prone to errors (when trying to do it at work on a cut-off saw I managed to get the angles going the wrong way on more than one occasion, mainly because when setting the saw up for the compound angle the head only moved one side of vertical).

Not sure if that helps,

John.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops! OK Stott, thanks for that! Never even entered my head about breakdown of the material

Mine is the same as phil m's. Like he said, once set up it works a treat.

Dingz

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
That Mannesman one looks like the machine mart one they are about £20 we use one at work, having added a bit of reinforcement under the base plate to stiffen it up it seems fine.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

FASTdan

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im surprised at the number of people using machine mart discs. In my experience and back to back cutting with other brands they are absolutely terrible. As in they only manage about 25% of the cutting a decent brand cutting disc will do. And in the process make an awful dusty mess as they disintegrate.

Maybe I had a bad batch....

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 13/4/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had an angle grinder stand from Screwfix. which was badly made with loads of slop in the pivot and the clamp didn't work very well. By the time I got it set up I could have made a load of cuts with a hacksaw without the noise or the abrasive dust, so it ended up in the bin.

With a bit of practice (and making a chassis gives you a lot of practice!) you can accurately cut 25mm RHS very quickly. With decent hacksaw blades it really doesn't take much effort, and you'll have to use this method for the compound angle cuts anyway.

[Edited on 13/4/12 by MikeRJ]

scrappy_7

posted on 13/4/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there
I adapted a cheap wood lop saw by putting a metal cutting blade in it . Worked really well cut all the chassis with it compound angles as well . Well worth a try

Stott

posted on 15/4/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Ooops! OK Stott, thanks for that! Never even entered my head about breakdown of the material

Mine is the same as phil m's. Like he said, once set up it works a treat.

Don't stress wasn't bein funny or owt, just that it's not a good idea to get them wet or damp at all as they go 12KRPM + so they don't respond well to imbalance.

It seems logical though using cutting fluid even if it isn't

ATB
Stott

Peteff

posted on 17/4/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Im surprised at the number of people using machine mart discs. In my experience and back to back cutting with other brands they are absolutely terrible. As in they only manage about 25% of the cutting a decent brand cutting disc will do. And in the process make an awful dusty mess as they disintegrate.

Maybe I had a bad batch....

I must have had some from the same batch. 14" chop saw blades which are still in the shed now as they are too scary to use. I have had discs from other suppliers which were a bit out of balance but levelled out after initial use but one of these was still shaking the machine when nearly worn out and it was only still in there as it was all I had. Some Screwfix discs were good but I'm going to try an order from Smith and Arrow next time I need any, they get good reviews.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.