Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed sensor for Mk Indy GSXR?
Sloan85

posted on 5/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Speed sensor for Mk Indy GSXR?

I am trying to figure out how I should be installing the speed sensor. I was planning on using the standard GSXR speed sensor, will this be ok? Do I need to use magnets on the propshaft? If so, how many? Or is the magnet in the sensor and it just needs something metal to pass it, e.g. a bolt head?
renetom

posted on 5/4/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
We made up 4 stainless steel fingers drilled each
end one end with socket cap screws & nyloc nuts
Shakeproof washers & threadlock to the prop bolts
The socket cap bolts were exactely the right size for
the little round magnets supplied by Koso ( speedo)
araldited them in as well.
This was fitted to the back of our reversing box
But I see no reason not to do it at the axle end of the prop.
Dont know if its any help for yours ?
Good luck
René

Speed sensor
Speed sensor

cosmick

posted on 6/4/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can use the standard GSX R speedo pick up and drive it using the 4 bolt heads on the front prop shaft connection. See my photo archive to give you the idea of how to mount it and get 4 pulses per revolution without having to use magnets or any other parts. You need to mount the pickup so that it is between 0.5mm and 1mm away from the head of the bolt and don't use stainless steel because they need to be magnetic.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Sloan85

posted on 6/4/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
You can use the standard GSX R speedo pick up and drive it using the 4 bolt heads on the front prop shaft connection. See my photo archive to give you the idea of how to mount it and get 4 pulses per revolution without having to use magnets or any other parts. You need to mount the pickup so that it is between 0.5mm and 1mm away from the head of the bolt and don't use stainless steel because they need to be magnetic.

Thanks for the info. Replicating that may be tricky as my k1 engine still has the sprocket cover in place, just with a larger hole in it for the prop adapter to fit through.

There is a gap at the side of the sprocket cover though so ill have a look at mounting the speed sensor there and using longer bolts to attach the propshaft to the sprocket adapter and put nuts on the back.

Sloan85

posted on 7/4/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Got this sorted this afternoon.

I installed it behind the sprocket cover by making a bracket from aluminium and fixing it with an M6 hole i found in the engine block that wasn't being used.

The bolts holding the propshaft to the sprocket adapter were installed longer than needed so they stick out at the back. The bolts pass at about 0.5mm from the speed sensor. Hopefully this should work.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 7/4/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
half a millimeter? bit close - i go bout 1mm - 2mm - best not be sorry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.