Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Felt roofing a carport, how to do it and what with
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/14 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Felt roofing a carport, how to do it and what with

Thanks to the strong winds my carport’s plastic corrugated roof has, well ended up in next doors garden so I’ve decided to sheet and felt it instead.

Although I’ve felted my shed I’ve not done a flat roof. It’s quite large for a carport at 39 square meters and is 3m high, so isn’t going to be particularly cheap material wise. Fortunately I’ve been given enough 9mm Stirling board sheets to cover it for free and now need to get felt etc. I was planning on using adhesive to glue down the felt rather than torching it on as I’d probably set fire to the roof and me in the process. I can get 5 ltr Black Jack stuff easily which says it can be brushed on. Plan was to first paint the wood sheets prior to installing them to stop the glue drying up? It says porous surfaces use twice as much glue… not sure what paint to use tbh thought maybe wood stain no idea really?

As for the felt, blimey there is quite a range both in quality and price. Cheap stuff looks terrible and the expensive stuff goes up to almost £50 a roll, I need 6 x 10m for this job! That’s a lot of money, I could buy a good car for that! (the comparison I always price things by) any recommendations? Cos it’s a carport a super good roof isn’t all that important.

Any helpfully hints on how and what to use?

Ta

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 10/2/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could possibly try coating the boards in pva adhesive/sealer (possibly dilted) should help seal the boards from absorbing the adhesive while also acting as a good key to help it stick.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
You could possibly try coating the boards in pva adhesive/sealer (possibly dilted) should help seal the boards from absorbing the adhesive while also acting as a good key to help it stick.

Yeah that's a good idea, would be a quick and cheap way of sealing them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garyo

posted on 10/2/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked in to EPDM rubber sheeting and welding it with a heat gun - it's not cheap but will last for decades? Might be OTT depending on your expected lifespan on the car port, of course...
owelly

posted on 10/2/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
9mm may be a bit thin unless you have plenty of frame under it! Snow is heavy...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

coozer

posted on 10/2/14 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass it!

Plenty of how do's on youtube and EastCoast will knock you a kit up to do it.

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/c-983-diy-roof-packs.aspx

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/14 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions

Main stubbling block is cost, it has to be cheap to put down. I know the felt isn't the best long term option and personally I'd just have went for Galvanised corrugated sheet if money wasn't an issue but we have more expensive things to think about just now. The roof frame is built like a tank tbh and totally over engineered so no worries there.

kipper

posted on 10/2/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
ROOF

How about box profiled roofing , we get it for about £7 a mtr by 1 mtr cover so £7 per square metre cut to length.once screwed down it is maintenance free.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

deezee

posted on 10/2/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I did a cold felt roof on my garage in spring. I could have cried. Its just terrible to work with. That 5ltr tin of black adhesive/cold tar doesn't budge its like trying to paint treacle. When you finally have the area painted, if you roll out your felt even slightly wrong.... tough... its not coming back up off the adhesive.

Don't get me wrong, its workable, just needs loads of planning and is hard work. I got a proper hot tar kettle for my house flat roof. Its so much better to use, its like night and day. Did that in December and you can work with the felt as it goes down.

Now the best of both worlds (in my limited experience) is torch on felt and underlay. Did a roof at work with it. Just heat it up with a roofers blowtorch (dead cheap to hire) and when it gets hot, just roll that section out. Then heat up another bit of the roll and roll that. Super nice job.

I would go with 18mm thick roof though. 10mm is proper flimsy.

ashg

posted on 10/2/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
this time of year your gonna have to torch it on, its just way way to cold to do cold roll, the felt will be a bitch to work and will split at every opportunity.

If i can manage to torch roll a pitched roof on my own in the rain then a flat roof should be a piece of wee for you.

i found my local non chain builders merchants cheapest, they were charging £35 a roll if it took 10 at a time which was £10-15 cheaper than all the on-line suppliers/chains for exactly the same stuff.

[Edited on 10/2/2014 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

van cleef

posted on 10/2/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a roofer not far from you....
9mm boards won't be any use if your felting straight over it.... You'll need to go at least 18mm as it'll start to sag over time with any considerable weight on it like snow.
What centres are the roof trusses on at?

If you do it on the cheap you'll end up doing it again soon. I wouldn't bother entertaining any kind of cold roll felt system as it's pretty crap and you'll need to use green mineral torch on felt... Cheaper felt like 1F underlay felt will break down in a matter of months out in the open.

If it were me I would do it in EPDM or box profile which would almost work out the same price.

IanG1

posted on 10/2/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Another recommendation for EPDM rubber sheet, I recovered my garage roof in December 2012 (the cold winter lol) it needs to be around 5 degrees or more from memory for the adhesive to work but went down easily and came in one sheet of around 10m x 4m.
garyo

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Another recommendation for EPDM rubber sheet, I recovered my garage roof in December 2012 (the cold winter lol) it needs to be around 5 degrees or more from memory for the adhesive to work but went down easily and came in one sheet of around 10m x 4m.

What tools did you have to work with? I've never used it on a DIY basis, but may well do in three months time - just wondering what you need to achieve a good job?

IanG1

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
All the details http://www.diy-epdm.co.uk/?gclid=CPu79aaMxLwCFbPItAodlQYAFQ
carpmart

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
And another recommendation for EPDM, just done 10m x 6m 'shed' roof with it and its just sooooo easy!

[Edited on 11/2/14 by carpmart]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

McLannahan

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
And another recommendation for EPDM, just done 10m x 6m 'shed' roof with it and its just sooooo easy!

Harvey - can you give me some ideas of costs please? I need to do a similar sized roof on my garage and I am quite interested by this thread!

Did you sterling board it first and then the EPDM? What made it so easy?

Thanks Harvey!

carpmart

posted on 12/2/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

Harvey - can you give me some ideas of costs please? I need to do a similar sized roof on my garage and I am quite interested by this thread!

Did you sterling board it first and then the EPDM? What made it so easy?

Thanks Harvey!

See this for more info http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=188267

Mine was a new build mate, so had a good run at it. I went for a decent 20 mm ply deck (complete overkill really) the materials were around £800 including all the adhesive and finishing trim etc

Because you don't need to use contact adhesive to stick the rubber to the deck, its quite an easy process, with a margin for error if you trap a little air or have the odd crease, you have time to adjust. I'd recommend that you don't skimp on the adhesive as it didn't go anywhere near as far as they state.

I'm left with what I think is a pretty attractive roof, with a high quality finish and one which should last for as many years as I need to worry about at my time of life!

I ordered from here http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/ obviously other vendors are available!

Good luck!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Irony

posted on 12/2/14 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
This is the Locost option. My brother wanted a new car port roof so he stripped the old corregated stuff off and replaced it with pvc/nylon sheet. He bought a used tarp from a curtain sided lorry. The material is mega tough, completely watertight and lasts for years. He pinned it all round the edges and 4 years later it still looks in good condition. He told me about it and I thought it sounded a brilliant idea, until I saw it and the six foot Nissan logo upside down on the roof. I had assumed it was a plain one but nope.

Great idea though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.