Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Square Tubing for Wishbones
cassidym

posted on 9/11/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Square Tubing for Wishbones

I guess I'm daft but I'm thinking of using stainless square tubing instead of round for my wishbones.

Am I totally off my trolley or is this feasible?

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/11/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
SVA may be a problem if the radii are less than 2.5mm, where are you going to get square bushes from?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

cassidym

posted on 9/11/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote

The pieces with the bushes will still be round.

JoelP

posted on 9/11/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
ive made two sets out of square tube. both worked, in so far as they didnt collapse when i dropped it off the jack. The later set also survived a blast down the road. Neither were particularily good. Pros, the angles are easier to cut. Cons, i dont personally believe that they are as strong as a similar WEIGHT (not diameter...) in round. each to his own.

my latest ones are 19mm squarem 16g. i would recommend 25mmx2mm if you are using for regular safe use. Alsom make sure that the grade of stainless is good enough for the job, and that you have them designed without any obvious weak spots, as discussed in various threads recently.

all the above is not professional advice obviously... caveat emptor.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

cassidym

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for the advice.

Is it possible that you can post a pic or 2? I would love to see them in the flesh.

JoelP

posted on 10/11/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
you're lucky! i took one before my camera broke...

this is badly designed really, ive learned lots since making this. The shocker mounts onto a 6mm bar. this creates a stress point at its ends, as all the bending wants to happen here, just where it has been affected by the heat of the weld. In its favour, due to the suspension outrigger, the shock mounts close to the balljoint, so the bending force is reduced. I think it will fail SVA on radius if nothing else.

upper bones and all bushes/tubes were supplied by MK engineering.

bloody hell, just noticed a bolt missing from the top of the upright wonder if its still like that!

[Edited on 10/11/04 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.